Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wire going to the temp sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Feb 3, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Where can I get the wire and the connector that goes to the temp sensor on the side of a 350 engine? See the wire and the clip that goes to the temp sensor was so damaged by the heat they just started to fall apart and shorting out my temp gauge. Where could I get a new clip that goes on the wire? I have about 1 mile of wire. I just need a new clip.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try a dealer or the junkyard! :thumb:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would say wrecking yard too...GM was very good about using the same connectors/wiring colors on all vehicles for the same components.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try a "real" parts store...

We have a local parts store that sells the wire connectors for stock sensors on most cars--try a NAPA store,or other "jobber" type parts stores,you probably wont see them at autozone or pep boys.the "Standard" ignition parts company makes them,among others(Balkamp at NAPA)..other than that,dealer or boneyard..I prefer new connectors over used--since computer sensors "read" such a small amount of voltage,any corrosion on a used connector might send a false reading to the computer,and most of the used ones will be corroded from sitting..:crazy:

5. dyeager535

Price out the connector you will probably change your mind.

My fan temp switch was something like $8 by itself, $20+ with a connector with short pigtail.

Nothing wrong with used wiring. Small voltage requirements mean less of an issue with marginal connections...resistance builds heat, none of the sensors use much power, as long as they work, 99 out of 100 times there will be no future problems.

On top of that, making new connections (splicing wires) carries risk as well.

Just make sure the wiring and connector are in good shape, and all will be well. No way I would ever pay $12+ for one simple connector when I can get it for almost nothing at a wrecking yard, or nothing depending on how nice the counter person is.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I see your point!

When we fix a customers car,we arent usually that concerned with the prices of the parts,unless the customer specifies they dont mind used parts,I usually use new stuff if I'm not paying for it!:blush: --but on my own heaps the boneyard is my "parts store" most of the time!:D --most customers dont mind spending the extra cash for new stuff,they want it fixed right--especially after they get a quote from the dealer and see what they would charge for the same job!--

We can usually do it cheaper and better than most dealerships in my area--they have state of the art repair facilities,but very few good techs,and their prices are outrageous.:crazy:

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Can't you just use a female spade connector? I think mine has one...

8. dyeager535

Using anything that doesn't positively lock is asking for trouble.