Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wire Harness.......

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jimmyjack, Jul 16, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought a new Pioneer cd player from BestBuy. Any car audio stuff over 100 bucks gets free installation. The installer told me I might have to have a wiring harness installed for 15 extra bucks, I told him whatever and signed the dotted line. I go to pick it up and he hands me a bill for 50 dollars!!!! 2 harnesses for 16 apiece and 12 more to put them in! When I protested he told me I had ok'd it by signing off on the work order. There are only 7 wires to hook up, the red/hot wire, the black ground and the yellow for the clock and memory. The other 4 are for the speakers, I've only got 2 in the front, no amps either. Now as far as I know there is no magical connection for the harness, it still has to be spliced into the exsisting speaker wires, correct? The hot and ground wires are spliced into where the old ones used to be with black tape!!!. Frankly I'm pissed about the whole situation. I was taken, if anyone can convince me otherwise I'll be willing to accept it. I purchased the extra warranty plan and was told I could bring it in as often as it needed to be cleaned. I think I'll bring it in once a month for the next 4 years. BestBuy sucks!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

2. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Depending on what year your truck is, a wire harness does make some sense. If it came with one of those factory stereos the harness would make a clean install with just a plug-in. Yes you would wire that to your stereo but it is made much easier with the harness. As far as the cost you might have to pay for 1 harness but not 2 and definetely not installation because that is part of the installation. In order for them to hook up your stereo they need this part. Simple and plain. A harness is about 12, 15 dollars, that's it. I would talk to the manager and raise hell. Let them know that is a cr@ppy way of doing business and you will let others know your experiences. That might make them change their mind.
    Good luck,

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

i agree with what you're saying, but my speakers don't have plugs, they have bare twisted wires. The guy used butt end connectors, same as he would use for hardwiring the speakers! If he had installed plugs on the speakers it would make total sense. No plugs in sight. Connectors and black tape! Maybe I should let the manager inspect it and let HIM raise hell with the installer.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. ChrisM72beast

Yes, black tape is as cheap and unprofessional as you get. I say raise HELL. If you have to complain higher up than just the dept manager do it. You don't have to be rude just serious.
    That is just shoddy. With the wire harness all they have to do is add a 1 cent clip on each spaker and it's clean. Not great, clean.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like I got screwed. I read the back of the receipt and it states: bend over and take it like a man! But I did get the installer to admit it wasn't totally nescessary to install a harness and the reverse kit it also "needs"! (small victory) Like I said, I'll take it in for its monthly cleanings!

Jim

6. ChrisM72beast

Sorry. From now on check the fine print. Also what I like to do whenever i'm getting equipment installed. Stay and watch. I usually do my own installations but sometimes i'm lazy. But I rather sacrifice shooting the breeze with the installer than getting beat. Even if you don't know much you can see whats goin' on. They are less likely to cheat you if you're in their face. If they don't want you in the installation area, find another place. There are plenty of places that are cool that way.

Live and learn

Chris M

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Ok, Here is what I think. The way it works when someone comes into my shop and asks for a radio install is this. It is 45 dollars for the labor. If it is needed, then yes we use a wire harness and a dash kit and even an antenna adapter. The harness is 13, the kit is 15 and the adapter is 8. Ok, what they did on yours is this. They had you sign the ticket. They the pulled the truck in and saw that the factory harnes had been cut. SO, being shaddy little pricks they wired in a harness to the factory wires that made it like it was original. They then wired the other harness to the back of the pioneer harnes to adapt it to the "Factory Plug", this way they didn't have to cut any wires so to speak. They did screw you. They should have just hardwired the Pioneer to the factory wires and MAYBE charged you an extra ten bucks or something. The double charge on the harness is just a way to make up the charge for the free install. They should NOT have but conected it, but should have tape and solderd all the connections. If this done with the proper tape I.E. 3m Super 33 tape, then it would last you forever. Sorry bro, but you did get taken to the cleaners. NASH

autotronixcaraudio.com

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Dude, I can tell you better than anyone else on this entire forum what should have happened to you at Best Buy. I used to be an installer at one for a couple years. I got paid alot, but the BS factor was too high and yes, BB was ripping folks off. Not much I could do about it. BUT, with that said, that particular installer went out of his way to rip you off. I am absolutely convinced the only reason he sold you 2 harnesses was to make their "bay numbers" look better. The more accesories the installers sell, the more the managers like us. Please get your ticket and tell me which model numbers the harnesses are. Should be a 70-1677-1 and a 71-1677-1.
    That is so unnecessary though. What he should of done was just hardwire the Pioneer harness into your truck. If the damn wires are already hacked up and the factory plug is gone, then the harnesses shouldn't even be an option. Here is the bad part. To hookup those 7 wires without a harness, just to hardwire them, Best Buy was making us charge an extra $24 to do it. Total rip. And another way he wasn't following Best Buy "rules" was the tape you found on the connections. We were only allowed to use bell caps and butt connectors on stereo wiring...so he f**ked up there as well.
    Why don't you go down and tell the manager what I just told you. You should have paid $23.98 for 2 "custom labors" to hardwire the Pioneer harness and maybe a $3 "materials charge" but that is it! That harness sh!t is not needed. The managers at my old store passed out $50 gift certificates like it was nothing, so maybe you'll get something back if you go in and talk to them. Good luck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I agree with what everyone here has said.. I would go back to BB and talk to a manager and if he doesnt want to help you out then go above him to the store manager.. if they still dont help them call the main HQ and let them know that if something isnt done about this that you will be reporting them to the bbb and letting other know of what they are doin via internet, local paper, etc.. So that this kinda of thing doesnt happen again.. From what you said i dont see how they charged you to put it in since it is a free install... Now i can see charging you for misc. parts that they need to use... but your right. there is no need for the harness.. I would go raise a little hell around there... But be nice about it and dont be a prick.. you will get things done since they really dont care and will just want to shut you up...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Prembird, the free install thing actually does make sense. The way BB has it in the fine print, the only thing that is free is the $44.99 basic deck install fee. Parts and extra labor charges are not free.
    The reason I agree with that is because a deck install in a '94 F-150 for example used to take me under 10 minutes, which is fine for the free install: except for the harness. If Best Buy was to make EVERY install free, they'd lose money big time. What if that F-150 was 15 years older...it would take forever to cut the dash and re-wire it if its common ground, etc.
    But yea, everything else about BB sucks.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well i was taking into account that it would just slide right in like most cars do nowadays..not having to cut or modify the dash... most cars out since the early 90's are standard setups... basically pull old radio.. put in sleave for new radio.. slid radio in... really really basic... then of course wire in the harness which take a whooping 5 min. to do... and it doesnt even have to be in the vechile do to it... Then again i have had to go back in and fix problems due to circuit city and best buy installs because of how shoddy the work was... i remember one that BB had installed and i had to fix.. they use end caps that electrictions use for houses... every one they put on fell off and it looked like crap... After spending about an hour figuring out everything they did to this poor kids car we went back to BB to have a talk with them... I took pics before, during, and after... and should them to the manager... needless to say my friend got his money back and i ended up with a 50 gift cert. for doin what i did... I dont know what happened to the guy that installed it that way but i dont think he worked there long after that... Basically if BB or CC offer you a free install.. tell them to shove it and you dont want there shoddy work... Hell half the time i talk to the guys doin installs they really dont know anything about audio at all... I always tell people to have a stereo shop do an install if they dont know what they are doin and to never ever take the free install from BB or CC... Most stereo stores around where i live will do a free install for you if you buy the radio from them.. Basically the 20-30 bucks more you spend in the private store covers the install but you get a true install and not a hack job.... Sorry but any time i see something about BB and installs it gets me pissed... Cant stand them.. Not saying all of the guys at the stores are like that but the majority of them are... Ok im done ranting now. .

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

12. ChrisM72beast

For me alot of the stereo stores actually are the same price or cheaper than BB or CC. They want your business and if you get a quote they will try to match it. They know, unlike BB and CC that word of mouth is their lifeline and they can't afford to take anyone for granted. I've usually had good service at the smaller places plus I can watch the work being done. I think that is important IMHO.

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ChrisM72beast on 07/17/01 11:50 AM.</FONT></P>

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Man, I think you are spoiled with that Thunderbird. No way most of the newer cars have pullout style radios. Even the newer Ford trucks require a dash kit now. Alot of the newer cars are easy, but they aren't like the old Ford pullouts. All the isomount cars require taking the dash off and most if not all of the GM cars need dash kits. The wiring for all of them is basically the same if they still have the factory harness.
    And your story about BB and CC messing up is about the 85947957th one I have heard. I hate telling people that I used to install at BB because most everyone thinks that all of their installers suck. It may be hard to believe but our BB store really was kickass. We were the store that always ended up fixing the problems from the other BB in town. The old installers at our store from about 4 years ago were all a bunch of meth addicts and damaged so many cars. Needless to say it took a while to turn our stores reputation around. Its hard though. At the regional conferences, etc I talked to alot of other BB installers from other states, and yea, most of them were complete idiots. I'm done.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I have had stuff installed at both local shops(not high end shops though) and at BB (before and during my time working there) and I have had crappy work done at both places. While I was at BB we had an installer that was real good, if you knew him, he had installed for years and would do an install right if you were friends. Others he would do the standard BB install, they get bonuses on sales of harnesses and the number of installs etc, a BIG bonus.
    The local shops I went to 1 was good, it was an alarm and I PAID for the good install, the others SUCKED. I was replacing a stolen head unit in my '88 Mustang and I had the factory "plate" that needed to be cut, I specifically asked them to use it, I got the car and they had pulled that out and used black plastic(I do not know what it is called) board instead. It looked like crap and was only held on by 4 screws, make it even easier for the next thieves. I went to this shop because I thought they had a good reputation, but their work proved other wise. Most of the other local shops I know of now are either high end, or are ran by the shadiest characters around (I have heard some stories that some of these places will even uninstall your equipment for free, around 3 A.M. while you are sleeping).
    Now I just DIY with the help of some friends.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The latest: Last night my left speaker went dead. I looked up under the dash and sho nuff! a wire had come out of the connector. I could've fixed it but HELL NO! I took it back today and talked to the install guy, told him the deal, told him what I was thinking. He wasnt the same guy so I didn't harp on him . I just told him I didn't think it was right to install all these harnesses (part#'s GMO2B and 711858). He told me it makes it easier to r@r the stereo when needed. I told him I thought it was BS, there's only 7 wires to be hooked up. A couple of female/male clips and thats it. He didn't disagree but told me he'd refund the 12 for installing them. So I feel vindicated. He even told me "just get it cleaned alot."

Jim

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Prem, I have done this everyday fcor the last six years and I have to agree with 73, you don't just slide out a radio and plu a sleev in and slide it back in. I cant think of a singl Gm vehicle that theory covers. Or a dodge, or a Mits, well, you get the point. Yes alot of vehicles do Isomount, like the Toyotas, and Mits and Nissans. BUT a whole lot of cars take qutie a bit of work to just Install a radio and it does not just drop in. It kind of bugs me a little when I hear that because to me it belittles the work that I do, ok did, I started a new job 2 days ago, everyday. Yes there are wa whole lot of easy rides out there, Damn near all fords are cake walks, near, not all. Anyways, thats all.

autotronixcaraudio.com

17. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

hmmm maybe i am wrong on this but i thought the radio install on a 89-91 k5 was the same setup as a ford... easy in and easy out.. Ive installed in grand am, firebirds, camaro's, etc.. alot of them are an easy in and easy out setup... now i will agree with the new vehicles are getting out of hand using oval type setups... but that is the manufactures way of keeping you from replacing the stock unit right up front.. I am not taking away anything from installers at all... There is a HELL OF ALOT more involved in installing then what i said.. but in alot of cars its pretty simple.. I think the install rates for most installers are a little low considering what you have to learn in order to do it correctly.. But i am a firm believer in DIY installing.. NO ONE TAKES BETTER CARE OF YOUR VECHILE THEN YOU DO!!!!... But when choicing someplace to install your stereo you need to get to know the shop instead of just walking in and saying "here put it in"... you need to check prior installs.. what other customers say about them.. What warranties they offer on installs.. etc... there is alot you need to do before you just hand over your car keys... Most cars that i have done installs on dont have these weird ass look around the radio.. i have done a couple and yes it does take alot more.. but mostly i have been dealing in imports and fords because that is what the peps i know own.. I might not have worked for a store as an installer.. i might not have gone threw class on installing... but i have learned more on my own then most installers do... everything from wiring to making enclosures.. The knowledge i have is all hands on.. Now if this makes me unqualified to answer questions then I guess i will stop answering...

Prembird

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

First off I'll say that personally I have had better luck w/ Best buy installs on stuff then anyone else. I usually do my own installs, but the k5 installs are a bitch and my latest one didn't even have a hole cut for it yet. BB did a decent job and anytime I have had them do an amp install of something for someone cause I'm too lazy to do it on my day off they have been good. I took my truck to get the radio installed at Audio King... a franchise much like BB, CC, etc for those who might not have them in there area. These guys absolutly murdered my truck... they cracked the plastic gauge pods in one spot and when they cut the hole for the deck it looked like a 2 yr old did it w/ a chainsaw... all screwed up. Plus I said what the heck I'll just have them do the amp wiring too and the dam idiot told me my amp was broken cause it was staying on... I sent it to their repair shop and they found nothing wrong with it and finally eneded up sending it directly to the manufacturer and they sent it back say it was fine... I wired it up and it was good to go. Overall it cost me about $50 in charges and 6 months on the amp... I went right back in and bitched about the hack job and finally refunded my extra labor charge. But I also agree w/ DBlazer and 73... many decks are a PIA and personally I think a good install and knowledgable shop is getting really hard to find.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

19. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Typical Best buy tactics - Atleast you didn't go to Audio Express - "Home of the $1 wire fire" My ex-neighbor took their car to one and ended up paying around $300 to cover the damages incurred by saving money. Sorry to hear they got you too[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

This story is getting even better. Those aren't even the right harnesses! The 1991 and prior K5's used the older GM harnesses that I mentioned above. The GMO2B didn't show up until 1992 in the fullsize Blazers. What a tool...you should kick both of those guys in the nuts.
    Another thing is him excusing the harnesses for easier R&R for cleaning. Bullsnot!!! In the 100's of decks that I had to R&R for cleanings, I never did a damn thing to the wiring except unplug the radio. The customer service people that actually perform the cleaning don't ever need to power up the deck, so they never need the wiring harness from it.
    All Best Buys are carbon copies of each other so I'm sure I'm right about this. I still think you should confront a manager about this and tell him everything that I/we have told you. You deserve a store credit to cover at least those 2 harnesses.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad