Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wire Routing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, May 21, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Just got a new receiver and SIRIUS Satellite system for the Jimmy. Now I got to figure out how to run the wires from the antenna down into the truck. I think Ill have to put the antenna on the roof of the cab. How should I run the two thin wires down into the truck? I dont really want to put them thru the top due to pinching them and I dont want to drill holes. Maybe somehow thru the slider windows on the topper?

Thank ya now

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Need a new windshield? Go get one with the integral antenna installed for $125 or so and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think he's talking about the SIRIUS antenna. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But to answer your question Chris, Running them downthe top shouldnt hurt them. I would wrap them in some rubber tape at the pinch point and just keep an eye on them.

Short of putting holes in the truck, it sounds like the best method.

John

4. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I think he's talking about the SIRIUS antenna.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm so used to people spelling things their own way, I thought he meant "serious". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now I know, sorry for the misunderstanding!

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

No biggie.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The most clean way to do it would be to unbolt the top and slide it back a few inches. Then run the wire under the inner seal for the top and down into the cab. If you look, you'll see that the wires for the dome light run under that seal as well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The only question is if the wire for the Sirius antenna is thin enough to fit between the top and cab.

7. daleearnhardt01

Well I guess that settles it. How/where do the wires for the domelamp run down into the cab? Ill just let the antenna wires follow them. Once thats done I tighten up the topper starting at the top on the back of the cab and work towards the back right?

Get ready John, schools out next week /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ill get with you sometime later so we can decide when/how we want to execute this minor thing called rust repair /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. HarryH3

The wire entry into the cab is hidden behind that little plate just behind the drivers head that you remove to unplug the power to the rear dome lights before removing the top. Once you have that removed and the top moved out of the way, it's easy to trace the wiring. It comes inside where the top and side meet, then runs down under the carpet and up to the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought he meant "serious".

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. daleearnhardt01

Everybody at work (a shop) is giving me crap for unbolting the top. I tried to explain but they kept on tellin me "dont come to me when your truck is flooded cause the seal got screwed" As long as I bolt it back down right I shouldnt have anything to worry about right? What can I do to make sure that I dont mess up the seal?

11. HarryH3

It's actually a double seal over the top of the cab, with a metal channel between them, so it's pretty hard to make it leak. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But to get it off cleanly, lift the top straight up, then move it back. Don't tear the bottom seal on the alignment pins that stick up out of the rear of the bed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif To help it seal back up really well, clean and wax the tops of the bedsides, then use some weatherstrip treatment on all the rubber. Set the top back in place, making sure that you don't trap any grass or other junk between the parts. Tighten the bolts that seal the top to the back of the cab first, then tighten the bolts along the bedrails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

The seals do get old and crack/tear, but worst case scenario, you have to buy new ones.

I've also heard vaseline on the seals before replacing the top helps as well.

13. daleearnhardt01

So there pins in the back? All I want to do is pick it up and move it back a few inches so I can run them wires.

14. HarryH3

Yep. There's a dowel pin on each side, just a few inches from the back of the truck. If your top has never come off before, then you'll also need to loosen the inner panels way at the back and remove the bolt that is hidden under there on each side. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If you just want to slide the top back, prop it up with some 2x4's or something similar to hold the weatherstrip up off of the dowel pins. You'll need to be VERY careful that you don't bump the top sideways while it's sitting up there, or it will fall and scratch the pi$$ out of your truck, and you'll say bad words. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll need to be VERY careful that you don't bump the top sideways while it's sitting up there, or it will fall and scratch the pi$$ out of your truck, and you'll say bad words. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John