Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wire taps? backup light circuit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhcomp, Mar 20, 2007.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so i have a flat 4 trailer harness on my truck, and am installing a flat 5. I will leave the current flat 4, and splice int eh flat 5 too. What are the best wire taps to use that are reliable and fairly weatherproof?

Also, the 5th wire is the backup light wire. Where is the best place to splice into that circuit? Its not part of the trailer wireing harness behind the hitch.

Thanks guys!

I'm excited to finally have a plug that will work wiht all teh surge brake trailers i tow so i can take advantage of the backup solenoid.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Which truck is this?

To be honest with you, no taps are good. They all suck. You either splice and solder, (which really isn't that great for exterior wiring either) or you buy the harnesses that fit between the electrical connectors. Or of course, you can eventually end up doing what most people do with hacked in wiring, get frustrated with crappy connections, cut it all out, and start over. :)

Unsure if flat 5 exists in the "drop in" style. Haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not out there. It's way too simple, reliable, and effective to go any other way, if it exists. :)

3. dhcomp

Haven't been able to find a drop in style. I snagged this one from a new trailer a buddy bought. Haven't been able to find flat 5 ANYTHIng other than round to flat5 adapters. I currently have a flat 4 uhaul harness, and, and any splicing of the main 4 wires will be done on this harness....so i don't mess up the truck's wiring.
    Luckily, the wiring i got has like 5' leads on it, so maybe i can splice the blue backup wire up in the body by the tailights. Would it be ok to splice it right at hte bulb?

I do agree with how awesome those snap in harnesses have gotten, i love the uhaul one i have wiht bracket, cap, and diagnostic lights.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just did some research on that flat 5, certainly isn't common.

Flat 4's seem to be a standard, widely used and available. I would *think* the best bet would be to get a connector that is much more common (or standard, if it exists) and use that, then adapt whatever you've got to it.

I know the major manufacturers (american) are putting trailer connectors on their rigs, are they 7 position rounds? Once you get past the 4 pin flat connectors, 6 or 7's seem to be the next common step.

It would seem a better bet that if you need more than 4, step up to something that will stay current, and MOST importantly, allows you the flexibility to connect to a majority of trailers out there with as little hassle as possible.

I know there are some real towing guys here, is there a forum for it?

5. dhcomp

I already have a setup for 4 flat. I really have no need to move up to 6/7 and use an adapter all the time. THe idea was to just wire up this flat 5 in conjunction with the flat 4, and always have the option of using either one.

Anyone know where i can tap into the backup light circuit? Or should i just get under there with a multimeter?