Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wireing harness when swapping in v8?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Nov 14, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what about the wireing harness when you swap in a small block? do u use the excisting one or what?..and why does eveyrone seem to use the 350 trans when they do this swap?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think I've heard that the wiring is the same except for a few wires on both s-10 TBI's and full size TBI's as long as they are from the same era.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh ok i c...so since my s-10 is a tbi i would want to put in a tbi 350 rather than a carbed? cause i was thinking about swaping in the 305 fomr my blazer..but i could always put on a tbi on that....

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Carb would be easy (they need what 2 wires-one to hei and one to choke on carb). There is a stickey post on s-series.org that has all the wiring for a carb and a search will give you all the info for a TBI.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The 305 would be a good choice for putting into your S10 but you will probably be happier if you keep the TBI system. Change out the computer for a 305 computer and the rest will be close to the same as a 2.8L. I am not sure how much different the TBI is between the 4 cyl though.

I would not use a TH350 transmission if you can find a reasonably priced 700R4. It would be strong enough for that application and help to keep good gas mileage.