Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless Broadband??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Jimmy, Dec 21, 2003.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anybody got it??...I can't get DSL or Cable where I live...I've read that satellite sorta sux...anything pretty much beats this fawkin' 26.4k dialup I've got...I work on a Fiber fed Series 5 SLC, but Catena isn't gonna be deployed in my area for quite a while...test area for SBC is Houston and Little Rock....

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

we have it, it works real nice... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Satelite sucks, wireless is awesome..... Wireless is comparable with download speeds around dsl and cable, but it has faster uploads speess than dsl or cable. My connection is 1000 mbps dowload and 1000mbps upload. Little more expensive usually too but if its available go for it!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My girlfriend has it and with her laptop she can be anywhere in her house and get online, I'm on it right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

When you say WIRELESS, does that mean you can take it on a boat or do you still need a connection at the house? And if you still need a connection at the house, is the speed limited to your connection?

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Wireless as in at the house...no cable, dial up, satellite, etc....wireless as in like a cell phone(?) sorta...Wireless tower is about a mile from the house...They install an antenna and provide a signal to an ethernet adaptor in my computer and do all the setup etc...connected 24/7 at about 1.5Mbps, like cable, it's slower the more people you have using it...$350 hook up/equipment fee plus Ethernet card then its $$49.95mo...since I've got a 5 yr old 350 PII I'm thinkin' maybe I should go ahead and get a new Dell since they are on sale...I've got a Viewsonic 17" that seems to be ok so that would save buying that 21" flat screen plasma super ring-a-ding monitor I Really Need...gonna call Monday and ask a few questions, but I'm thinkin' it's the way to go...26.4 is killin' me...especially since I work on T1's, DS3, ISDN, OC3, etc for a living....I share a T1 fiber LAN with One other person at work, but I'm not allowed Internet access just Company Intranet (sux out loud)...

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    My girlfriend has it and with her laptop she can be anywhere in her house and get online, I'm on it right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you on, your girlfriend or the laptop /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you on, your girlfriend or the laptop /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn beat me to it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

So you mean that as long as you are near enough to a tower you can do it?

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You have to be near the sending unit thats in your house... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

you have to have a line of site from the antenna on top of your house to the wireless antenna. this is not a wireless network like you would put in the house. When gaming people like for me to host because the upload speeds are much faster than cable or dsl. Counterstrike and nascar racing 2003 are awesome with wireless. Mine is 49.95 a month also but my startup was 199.

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey what servers you play on counter srtrike????? our server is 66.98.188.48. its 1.5 but when 1.5 goes out we're gonna go 1.6. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The tower has to have the ISP equipment...the wireless ISP we furnish in the town where I work 30 miles away has a Fujitsu FLM150 that he runs his servers thru...he has an OC3 for the wireless customers and 20 T1's for his dialup customers...the FLM has enough capacity left that he could add either another OC3, or 32 more T1's...so the Tower site pretty much has to be Fiber fed or Microwave (antique) in order to handle the bandwidth....most Cell Phone towers usually have 2-7 T1"s per company per site with most sites having 1-5 companies providing Cellular service...so Cell towers generally don't have enough bandwidth to provide Broadband...most Cellular Dialup runs about 19.2K or slower....Wireless Broadband is sorta like extended range WiFi and you must be line of sight and within (I think)4-5 miles or so...The company I'm gonna talk to just started up in my area, so I'll talk to some of the SBC guys who work this town and find out what kind of equipment and bandwidth this outfit is capable of...I can also talk with the owner of the Company in Greenville where I work and get some good info on what to expect and how to maximize the service...I talked to the wife this afternoon, and she OK'd a new Puter if we decide to go this route...

14. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

we actually have two cs servers and many other gaming servers and groups......goto Liv3wire.com
    free to play, cost to join the clan....awesome servers!
    come play! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif