Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wireless internet, what is it like ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 5, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i signed up for wireless internet locally, i was reading info about it in the local daily new site and here is an exerpt from a story on local about the different internet connections available, including the wireless im looking to get soon,

"Wireless technology is symmetrical, so up and down speeds are the same. And (hang on – you modem users are not trained to expect this) 64Kbps actually means 64Kbps! No PPP overhead, and it is fully digital, so what you see is what you get."

http://archives.lincolndailynews.com/2000/Jul/29/news/techline.htm

im confused, what does this really mean ?

im used to having DSL 1.2meg package
    currently im on 56k again, just for right now

how fast would this wireless really be ? im starting to worry, cuz it sounds like its not all that great of a connection speed at all

thanks for anything

2. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I have Sprint on my laptop. My speed depends on how good my signal is. Most of the time its about like my dial up at home speed wise.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum well wireless sounds like total crap

is it even worth getting ? it costs about 4 times as much as dial up..

what am i missing ?

thanks

4. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

The lap top is work so they pay the bill. The only plus I can see is that you can get on the net in the middle of a feild ( as long as you have a signal ).

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used my laptop to check e-mail through a friends cell phone, which was cool, but slow. I can't imagine why you would rather have wireless than cable or DSL at home because of the speed diference.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

From the looks of the article it is 802.11 technology. Some people use that in the rural areas here. The company puts up a tower or some other smaller antenna and then uses high gain antennas on peoples houses to connect. My friend's antenna looks like a big gray cake box on a stick up on his roof next to his directtv antenna. It is basically a big, high-powered wireless network like many people have in their houses.

I wouldn't trade dsl or cable for it. I don't think on average it will be any faster and there is more possibility for trouble with the connection. However, if no dsl or cable is available, it is probably your best bet and will be much faster than dailup.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh they are trying to get the city to allow them to set up an antenna locally, so for now its hard to get signal so they have to come out and do whats they call a site survey to see if you get enoug signal at your residence,

how mcuh faster than dial up would this be ?

its really sounding like something i shouldnt get,

i dropped my verizon DSL due to problems i was having with them

verizon online has horrible tech and horrible service, IMHO

had some real bad luck with them, all after the frist 12 months ended and when they jacked the price up, i was only getting 600k of my 1.2meg connection, for 43 bucks

they couldnt figure it out and i got sick of it and canceled it,

and we have no other local DSL service, verizon has it all currently, still

no one else seems to be able to get DSL to this area

and i cant find a cable provider here

so i dont know what to do, hmm

what would you do,

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We are using wireless internet. We moved our business and DSL wasn't available from cable or phone. So wireless was the only choice.

It is more expensive than the DSL through the phone line we had before. $25 versus $55 per month.

The wireless does seem to be faster, and we subscribed to the slowest package they had available. We do have business demand service, which means from 8-5 we are guaranteed to get our contracted bandwidth.

We haven't had any problem with service yet. We've had it through some snowy, rainy, and windy days.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Be careful, 'cause people can hack it very easily, too. All they need is something to pick up your signal, and once they do, they can sit in their car somewhere near it and hack your system.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

business demand service

hmmm

i bet thats $$$$$$$4

heh

thanks

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was reading and they said it is secured against that somehow,

dunno :confused:

thanks

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

currently i am on a sweet dial up plan of $8.99 a month. and the wireless they offer is only $24 a month. on average dial up is $20 a month here in maine. well used to be and a few are i know. this is the lowest local isp i have seen here. but since i am in a rural area i do not think the wireless network would reach me anyway. i need to look into us cellular and if i could use a cell phone to get online with my laptop. i will be moving within a year to my own land and will have no phone line in there for a at least a couple years so i am looking to alt methods of net :D

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

If the price is right and the signal test shows good signal, I'd give it a shot. My friend is pretty satisfied with his.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my dial up is 19 bucks and the wireless is currently 45 but is dropping to 30 something real soon

i just wonder about actual bandwidth speed of the wireless,,

apparently it can be anything, variable,

i dunno what to do

i guess im gonna have ot ask them what the speed is, but still that doesnt help because then there is also the analog(dial up) vs digital or whatever thing.,.

im lost as hell, i dont understand how it works, thats my problem

they say that wireless is 56k

but that its not the same 56k ?

im confused ..

i dont think paying 45 or even 30 anything for any 56k is a good deal at all.,

i dunno ?

thanks

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC ours is 500K, but it is usually faster than that. It is actually ADSL which means it is faster coming in that it is going out. I'm pretty sure ours is $55/month. If your only getting 56K on the wireless for more $$$ than dial-up, I'd stick with dial up.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so i need to ask them what speed connection i would be having

thanks

17. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

There are different kinds of wireless technology, cellular and mobile wireless is slow and sucks like dial up basically, satelite is too expensive and has slow latency but regular wireless like they are installing in rural areas where people cant get dsl or cable is great. The wireless i had in my old house was 1000 meg upload and download and it was great....50 bucks a month and faster than the cable internet i am on now. The great thing about it is for online gaming the upload speeds are awesome so you can host many more people with better speed on your machine, basically like a server. I miss it since i moved and prefered it over the cable im on now. The worst drawback is that you have to restart your radio transmitter(Basically like a modem on cable) by unplugging it and plugging it back in more often then you do on cable.

Hope this helps!

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

DSL modems are the same way, you have to unplug power cord on them often and reset them they get all buggy and crap

tomorrow i am going to go to the ISP in question downtown and see if i can find out the minimum and maximum bandwidth of the package of wireless i am interested in, and also if i have to pay for equipment to upstart

if the latter is true and i have to pay for the equipment then i wont be getting it.., ill have to be stuck with this 56k dial up crap til somebody gets DSL locally, other than verizon

although i see that there is a springnet service here in town, but i have no idea what kind of ISP they are,

anyone know ??

the only DSL ISP that i know of here is verizon and they(as an ISP) totally suck monkey ^%#@!#$%s

i will stay 56k rather than go back with their sorry asses

if you ask me they have no business being in the ISP market

thanks