Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wireless net for laptops

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nc87k5, Apr 7, 2007.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

does anyone use any other service besides Sprint? Also, how fast does it work?

I'm thinking of buying a laptop soon and was curious about services out there.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For the mostpart , its getting to where you won't need to pay for internet . You can almost find 1 or 2 idiots who didn't turn their routers security on in every neighborhood or city block :thumb:

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

But that's no good riding along I95... :haha: :haha: Data service along the I95 corridor there has gotten MUCH better in the last two years, too.

John, I use Verizon, that was the card I picked up at your house. I think the card itself was around $100, and my boss often grumbles at me that the service is around $80 per month for unlimited data. My brother works for Sprint and says Verizon and Sprint/AT&T are the only providers with a decent infrastructure up now.
    We only used the card while driving when wi-fi access was too short to be useful, for stuff like google earth and looking up motel prices as we approached an area. But like Pauly said, once we got anywhere, there were always wi-fi networks we hopped on easily. There were at least 2 or three usable-range networks I got onto from my father in laws back yard, and every motel we stopped at had free wi-fi internet.
    There are enough in my neighborhood now that I've thought about cancelling my internet service and using a nieghbors... :whistle:

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

oh, I thought it was Sprint you had. so AT&T is decent?