Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless 'Net question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I almost bought a Linksys wireless 802.11b/g router "with SpeedBoost technology" and the appropriate wireless card for my laptop today at the exchange (B-day present to myself). But the guy working the computer department couldn't tell me whether the SpeedBoost was worth the extra $40... so I passed. Then I looked the the 802.11n stuff, and was impressed by the numbers... but then I noticed that 802.11n is still a DRAFT, and not standardized yet. I have no desire to drop $200 on wireless stuff that could potentially be junk in a year, so I'm waiting some more.

Sooo, does anyone have an idea when 802.11n will be standardized?

2. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Sorry man, no help here. I just barely learned to copy and paste.:doah: :haha:

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'm running a Linksys wireless G router and I haven't had any problems. You can pick them up for between $30-40 so when the 802.11n becomes standard, you can dump it and step up.

If you are running the N router and compatable card in your laptop, would it matter? The Linksys page says that the N routers work with the G and B devices.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought that the bottleneck was in your internet connection, not the speed between your router and computer. Does it really matter once your router and computer transfer info faster than the throughput of your modem?

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's one of the ones I was looking at.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

cbbr:

Is there someplace on the 'net I can go to see what my connection speed is? Never checked it... but I know it can be pretty fast (cable).

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do a google search for speed test.

The bottleneck is usually between the comp and router. Hardline is usually faster. 54 vs 100 at my house. I hardline wherever possible. It's faster, more reliable, more secure. you can set 2 comps side by side, on the same site, 1 wired, 1 wireless, and the hardline is much faster.

As far as N vs g.... N has been in draft for some time now, I have not seen real world numbers to see if it is faster. The card itself will determine if it is reverse compatable.
    Speedboost.....from what I've seen, not that much better.

IMO get the regular G and run it untill next year when the router dies, then consider the N.

BTW.... Some routers with the multiple antenna have more "punch through" capacity than the others. It makes for better strength at a greater distance. If you want to add a wireless card to a desktop pc, there are some mac daddy ones out there that find all kinds of other local networks in your area, and have a sweet connection speed.

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

In reality unless you are moving files from one computer to the other inside the network, there is no real reason to need more than wireless g @ 54mbit. Your cable or DSL is really only at best 6-8 mbit. Wireless will be wireless no matter what, fine to surf but dont bother gaming if you can avoid it.

That said. A friend of mine has a wireless n router (Dlink DIR-655) and even my wireless g notebook has CRAZY range to that router (like from a car parked down the street;)). Apparently wireless N cards are even better range wise. So thats something to conside if you get less than excellent strength anyway.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, did a few speed tests, and I don't know a whole lot more now than I did before...

CNET:
    903.3kbps (don't know up or down - didn't say)

Speedtest.net:
    2102kbps down, 410kbps up

Speakeasy.net:
    9065kbps down, 711kbps up (server in Wasington, DC - the NYC server was almost as fast, and the further away the server, the slower the test was)

Wugnet.com:
    6.82Mbps down, 784kbps up

The wireless is basically so I can get out of the back room while on the computer (laptop), which should make my free time at home a little less... uh... "naggy". When actually in the back room, I'd be wired. The desktop that I'll be building soon will be wired as well.

Any "best bets" for a wireless card for my laptop, for travel purposes?

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran the speedtest - 4669 down and 1091 up. Wireless on one a lynksys G.

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

exactly. those are pretty much probably the same results you would see on your desktop, so any extra wireless speed is lost unless your moving files around on the network.

So unless you have range issues, save the $$ and just grab good wireless-g stiff. I personally like Dlink, but linksys is also just fine.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Found this combo yesterday evening... spoke to the ol' lady about it... bought it just a few minutes ago.

Linksys wireless combo