Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless network help needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kennyw, Aug 6, 2006.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just set up a second desktop PC on an existing wireless network (already have 1 desktop at the DSL box and 1 laptop on the network and no problems with them). I installed the software first, then the PCI Adapter next as the instructions stated. Hardware was installed when first booted up and now have the indications of my new puter connected to my wireless router with an IP addy and all.

Only problem is the puter can't access the internet off the wireless network. I just did a fresh install of XP if that makes any difference. I'm thinking the problem is a windows setting myself. Anyone have any ideas?

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

xp is samrt. in my experience it always finds it. is it saying you are connected to the acces point but the internet cant be found?

how far away is the pc?

make sure you are really connecting to your network and not a neighbors

3. kennyw

I know its mine... set it up with a unique network name and have a 100% signal with WPA-PSK security. I have an indicator that the passphrase is correct, I have an IP from the AP, but my PC can't find anything on the internet. And I mean anything...

Using a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless PIC Adapter WG311T on the PC and have a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Router WGT624

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

From what I've seen, the windows wireless connection manager in windows xp and the wireless software from the card can sometimes cause a conflict. I think you would do better to completly uninstall the software in add/remove programs. Then uninstall the drivers from device manager. Then make sure the cd for the card is in the cd drive. Then reboot the computer. Windows xp will automatically find the device w/ the found new hardware wizard. Let windows find the drivers on the cd and install them. Use the windows wireless connection manager to access your network.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i concur. there is an option under properties somewhere to let only windows xp find your access point

6. kennyw

Thats not going to work as the XP controls only offer WEP security and not the WPA.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Win XP will work with WPA. I have 2 machines on my network using WPA that use the win xp wireless manager. One is a desktop, the other is a notebook.

However, mac filtering is 10 times more secure than any encryption, be it WPA or WEP. But that is another discussion.

8. kennyw

I got it to work via WEP... I'll go back and use the mac filtering though as well now that it is working.

9. kennyw

Got the PC online finally... now I screwed up the laptop connection in the process :doah: