Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless network setup -- ICS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The_Sandman_454, Aug 31, 2003.

1. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Hello and welcome to my problem... I have 2 computers. Both run Windows XP. One is a desktop with built in ethernet adapter. The other is a laptop, which has a built in 802.11b network adapter, as well as a traditional ethernet network adapter... Previously I had these machines connected together through the ethernet cards (with a simple hub), and I could do file sharing *and* internet connection sharing over both machines.

I decided it would be nice to take advantage of the wireless adapter in the laptop, so I procured a Linksys 802.11b wireless access point, and plugged that into the network in place of having the laptop plugged in there. Now I have an inability to share the internet connection to the laptop... The network is set up properly from what I can see, as I can access the shared files on each computer, however, it simply refuses to allow me to share the internet connection... (I have also tried to allow windows ICS wizard to set things up but it wants to change my ip range on the laptop to 169.something, while i have to have it set the same as the WAP's ip range to get it to recognize the laptop...

Can anybody give me a hint as to what I can do to get the ICS working? I have the gateway address set up as the address of the desktop (host) machine as some of Microsoft's technical doccuments said to do (that's set on both the wireless access point, and the laptop)...

Any assistance would be excellent... Thanks in advance...

Tim

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I run the linksys wireless gateway too, XP on one system and W2k on 3. The easiest thing to do is to let the gateway be your DHCP server, it will use the IP addy that your ISP gives you, then assign out IPs to all the machines on the network and manage the connections. You don't need to use internet connection sharing since the computers dont share a connection through another computer, they just use the gateway. Screw what MS says, just let the Linksys do it's job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Let me know if you want screenshots of my setup screens and I can grab them for you, or IM me on ICQ and I can help you out.

The other thing that I found is to just use the default SSID on the gateway, for some reason mine didn't like to be changed until everything else was set up and working. Also disable the WEP keys until it's all set up.</font>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, sounds like a problem with IP or your IP gateway. How do you have the actual wiring set up? You don't have two network cards in the desktop, right? What is the modem plugged into?

4. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Some updates I should have cleared up at first... The connection to the internet is an old fashioned dialup one... I use a modem plugged into the serial port on the desktop... I have only 1 network adapter in the desktop, and that is connected to a simple hub, which then connects into the wireless access point's ethernet connector... (Planning to eliminate the hub in the system with a crossover cable, but haven't had the chance to get one of those yet)...

The wireless equipment is simply the wireless access point, having no built in router or any of that other stuff...

I have the desktop LAN TCP/IP IP address set to 192.168.0.1 as windows seems to want, and have the gateway listed as that IP on my laptop and in the wireless access point... Both of these items are in that IP range as well...

Thanks everybody for the continued suggestions and assistance...