Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless Networks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 28, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Set up a Wireless network in our new house. As of right now I'm getting a "Low" signal. Of course when I had the router in my room testing it, it was an "Excellent" signal. The router is now, 20' away and through a wall. Should I be worrying you think? Is there someway I can improve my signal strength? The other access points are upstairs and with my mom's laptop, free floating. So I don't want either of those to have any worse of a signal. I wish they just would have listened to me. It would have taken an extra hour to wire the house with Cat5e cable and wall jacks for it. Could have setup a simple wireless, centrally located for the laptop and wired the rest.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I also use a combination of wired and wireless. Belkin has a new wireless router out. It is a pre release of the new "802.n" It should solve your problem. It uses mulitple antennas with mulitple outgoing and incoming signals. It is about 5 times as fast as the".b" or".g". Only problem... It's 160.00

The only real solution is the one you already know. Run a cable so that you can centrally mount the wireless unit.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

How low is it. Are you connecting to other machines in your house, or just getting outside to the internet. If you just using the internet connection throught, I wouldn't worry about it, as it would have to get really really low to go lower than a 1.5 or 3mb cable or DSL connection, so your not losing anything. If your using to connect to other machines in the house for file sharing, etc, then you probably want the most bandwidth you can get. However, I see a lot of people saying "I only have 3 bars out of 5", well, that's about right at 20' through a wall. Some get better, some worse. Nature of wireless, if you have bars and are not getting kicked off, then it's usally good enough.

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

need more info. What router? and what wireless card?

also (and this is a long shot, but it wouldn't be the first time i've seen it happen) .. make sure you are not connecting to someone else's wireless (neighbors?) when you are in that other room. Check the SSID (you did set a custom one when you setup your router correct)?

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

linksys makes a range extender that works good you can also get booster and better anntenas. I just did a wireless network that goes about 2-3 miles. so it can be done

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A better antenna is a good inexpensive place to start.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Linksys 802.11G router. I would have bought the new "SpeedBooster" one, but all it said was 35% better, no claims of actual speed or anything. D-Link cards.

As I have let it sit the connection has gotten better on its own :haha: Maybe I threatened it properly? Mainly this is for ICS but file sharing as well.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ours works great some days and not as well others. I always get a signal and even onlow it is good for everything except large downloads.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

To take advantage of the "speedbooster" router, you need speedbooster cards IIRC. Don't waste your money on the cards.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Knock Out The ****ing Wall!

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you can get a hawkings signal booster for about 70ish.