Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless pc?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbadchev84, Oct 30, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

I have a desktop pc and am wanting to set it up for wireless internet, I just recently found that we have free wireless broadcast across our county so why am I paying $60 a month when i can get it free?:doah:

so what do I need to start surfing for free?

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/3468121

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to find out what standard the wireless is, most likely 802.11b or 802.11g (there are other Wireless Local Loop standards, not sure what the Sprint and Verizon varieties are). No matter what type computer you have, find a wireless receiver and connect to whatever network you can see. A decent receiver can be had for about $40, and receive sensitivity can be made better by having an external antenna.

BTW, not that I am endorsing this, but your neighbors are more than likely running "free wireless internet" too.

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

got any links? i dont think it is verizon or sprint, it is some guy that did this on his own.....multi-million dollar thing if i read right. i am really nieve to computers and need to know exactly what i need so links would be awesome, thanks

4. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is so much out there. If you Google "wireless local loop" or "WLAN" or "WiFI" it will give you a good start. Google "802.11" and you will get some great info as well, just work your way through whatever is trying sell a product. Break through the technicalities of it, and see the simplicity of how it really works, you can learn alot. I do some work with this at my job, so I'll see if I can find some good links for ya.

But more or less as stated in my last post, find yourself a decent or better quality WLAN/WLL receiver, and you should be able to find something.

I forgot to say in the last post that most 802.11g routers are backwards compatible to 802.11b and 802.11a so "g" is the way to go.

http://www.ieee802.org/11/ is the international standards.
    http://it.slashdot.org/hardware/04/07/31/234212.shtml?tid=193&tid=95

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

get a card that is a,g, and b compatable. Most coffee shops are b 11Megabits, or 54megabits, all corp networks should be A, if they are using Orinoka(tsunami based) my bet would be a, if they do have the older version g, they can flash it to A really easy. But seriously half the wireless that is out ther is unreliable unless you yourself have an amplifier, big antenna, etc...

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

no real need to bother with a 802.11b card. all current 802.11g cards are backward compatable with b.

I've had VERY good luck with the D-link DWL-520 (i think its 520 might be 530).

802.11AG 108Mbps PCI wireless network card. will work in A B and G networks, and if its matched with a nice dlink wireless router, it will give you neer cabled connection stability.

If its true that this network is using ORiNOCO Access Points (as the article says), you might also consider a wireless card using an orinoco chipset. google "orinoco" and you should find plenty of wireless cards with that chipset.

also.....

tru .... tru