Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless Problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daleearnhardt01, Sep 14, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Got a problem with my wireless. My laptop doesnt do this only my desktop. Anyways it has a hard time connecting to it and once it does it starts at 11 Mbps then goes down to 1 mbps. Whats the problem? I think ILl get new drivers and go from there...

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Bad signal can be attributed to usually one of two things-

1. Antenna location
    2. Interference

Antenna location you can fix slighty- but your greatest enemy will probably be cordless phones. If you have any 2.4ghz cordless phones, try unplugging them temporarily- If you see your signal shoot straigt up, you've found your issue.

In the meantime, try changing the base station channel- Just start playing with it until you find one with the proper amount.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Well looks like my worst fears were realized...Haha..Anyways the router is a D-Link which is the worst kind for compatability with other brands. If experienced this issue before and the only way around it is to get a new card or router. Luckly I have a nice new 2.4 Linksys back home, Ill get my parents to send it up here. This 1.0 Mbps crap isnt cutting it...

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

dude, dont be so sure. I've used the dlinks before, they arent as bad as most people make them out to be. Not as good as linksys, but they are pretty good.

Download on your laptop a software called "net stumbler"- its free, and it will do real time sniffing of wifi networks-. including any which might be interfeering with yours. It will also show you lossy data packet information, as well as noise levels. Very useful in diagnosing problems.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Netgear is the way to go. IMHO it is the best.
    I set up a Netgear wireless system for my daughter and her roomates. Three diferent Notepads Sony, Gateway and Dell, Three different operating systems XP, 2000 and win 98. it works like a dream with no compatibility issues at all. Very simple to set up and best of all it was on sale cheap at Circut City. I also have one in my home too.

What previous poster said about cordless and cell phones is right. both Cells&cordless phones will play havoc with wireless systems.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont have an answer for ya but I just got a G series motorola card for the laptop while on vacation and its pretty cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif