Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless Routers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Esteban86K5, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I am looking to move my computer and clean up the desktop. I wanted to use a wireless router so that I can have my modem and printer in another room and the comp in on the kitchen desk.

I have been looking at getting a lynksys system and wanted some feedback from you guys. Anyone use it and have problems?

Thansk In advance.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a Linksys WRT-54G. Got it at Wal-Mart for $49.95.... Really like it so far without complaints.

The only thing..... I think the printer needs to be connected directly to a comp unless you get a wireless print server.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Inlaws have a linksys and I have a netgear. Both work well and are easy to install.

4. Esteban86K5

My printer has the cat-5 wire that the router also has so it should be fine.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

If you can, get one with 3 antennas. The 801.n that is coming out in a little while has the best range and strength. Some manufactures have applied .n technology to the .g routers for more strength.

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

we dont call them linksucks for nothing.

I personally use Dlink

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Poke around the forums over at www.dslreports.com Lots of broadband geeks hanging out there. They seem to like Linksys the best, mostly because there is aftermarket freeware that upgrades the firmware and makes it a LOT more useful. But you'll have to read up and bit to find out which models are upgradeable. The latest version of the WRT54G doesn't run Linux, so it can't be upgraded... :(

I've been running a WRT54G v2 for over a year now and it's solid as a rock. Don't spend a bunch of money on the "Pre-N" routers out there. The 801.n spec hasn't even been completely agreed to yet, so those may or may not be upgradeable when the spec is finalized.

Few broadband connections exceed about 6 or 7 Mbps, so a 54 Mbps router will be plenty fast for surfing the web anyway. :)

8. CustomChevy

oh ... i dont know if you even need to worry about this. but linksys routers are notorious for curling up and dieing to bittorrent. low connection limits.

If you don't know what i'm talking about, it wont be a problem and you neednot worry.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not if you know the secret handshake. :cool1:

It also isn't a problem if you run HyperWRT firmware.

10. CustomChevy

never got a chance to use the firmware. the 2nd (and last linksys) I owned died a year or so ago.

11. Esteban86K5

Well I ended up getting the linksys router and so far so good. It was pretty easy to setup once I knew what I was doing. I had to use the online configuration instead of the cd that came with it. And I had a bit of a problem setting up the printer but it finally works well. Thanks for the help fellas!!!

12. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

D-Link. It's cheap, and does the same exact thing as the Linksys and Netgear. I guess it's all personal preference, all depends on how much you want to spend.