Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wireless wireless wireless!!! Soooooo cool!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Picked up a laptop last week with the built in wireless. Last night I picked up a Linksys wireless g router. It is soooo cool to sit in the recliner with the lap top, no fat ass LAN cable and surf the net and watch tv at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I took the laptop outside to see how far away it would work. I got probably 100' away before the signal crapped out. I imagine it would be even further without walls in the way. I love technology. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Router also has a 4 port switch, so my desktop still connects the same way. I can print from the laptop too...wireless stuff frickin awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah wireless is great. Have Netgear wireless myself.
    Just set up a wireless system for a friend too.
    Be sure you password protect it or assign all your computers MAC adresses.
    If you dont, anyone cruising by with a laptop and a wireless card can access your router.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I loved my wireless, until a windows update corrupted my drivers, and crashed my computer /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Yea, I have had mine set up like that for almost a year now, it rox! I am sitting in my heated vibrating recliner right now drinkin a cold 40 oz of Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've had my wireless setup for almost 6 months now and I sure like it. Sometimes when I want to design a peice or draw something for the truck I take the thing out to the garage and set up a safe location for it and draw. If I have to be out there for too long I have to go get the plug for the voltage but the internet works awesome. Live in a real small town too so there aren't many other wireless networks that it will pick up.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm gonna have to take the thing over to Starbucks and the other local coffee house that have wireless hotspots and see how that works. I'm sure I fit in perfectly in both places.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm gonna have to take the thing over to Starbucks and the other local coffee house that have wireless hotspots and see how that works. I'm sure I fit in perfectly in both places.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif You need an iBook, sandals, and be stylishly 5 o'clock shadowed to get authorization to be on the network...

Any other IT guys cringe at the idea of people using thier laptops in a place where people go to drink coffee?

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I bought my Linsys wireless router last year, I dodn't even have anything wireless. The guy said for the $$, it's well worth in case you p/u a wireless system later. Glad I did. I got a Compaq Armada E500 a couple weeks ago w/ wireless for $200 from a guy in Denver. Picking up a second one from him for my daughter for Christmas. It is definately nice to roam the house with the laptop in tow and use it anyway, even in the "library" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Other than my nightly reset of the modem if i'm online at 9 or 11 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I love my wireless /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif