Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wires coming from the top of the coil?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jun 25, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So I finished removing the remote start in my truck today and I noticed that one of the wires went to the top of the coil...On the to of the coil there is of course the coil wire that is the same size as my plug wires and runs to the top of the dist. then next to that are 4 other wires coming off the top of the coil...the wire from the remote start was slpiced into one of these...Well what are these four wires? and why is one of them have a plug on the end that isn't hooked to anything? thanks for the help...

Chris

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There should only be 2 wires on your coil. One is the hot lead that goes to the positive side (+) and the negitive side (-) goes to the distributor. On some early vehicles there could have also been a radio noise suppressor hooked up to the coil. You should never use the positive (+) terminal of the coil to gain access to 12 volts for any accessories.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I couldn't tell you what they are for, but I too have 4 wires on the coil of my '87 K5.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, so I just reread your post and looked at the bottom and seen you are working on an "87" blazer. The four wires are, one is hot from the ignition switch, two of them go to the computer, the one that isn't hooked up is for a tach and I believe it is a white wire if memory is correct.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">4X4HIGH, do you know which color wires on the external coil are tach and ignitoin power? I'm putting TPI on my 71 and none of my diagrams tell me which is which /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. I have the coil hooked up to the distributor, I just need to hook these other two wires up.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Cool dude...thanks for the reply...that is what I thought...Now I know where to plug in my tach when I get one... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Chris