Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wires that go to my AC compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Feb 11, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

there are two wires that go to my AC compressor - black (ground) and green (positive signal wire). the mount for these wires are on the side of the compressor but have no markings. which wire goes on top; green or black?

not sure if i am getting them mixed up. when i have the wires disconnected, i can measure positive voltage on the green when my AC is turned on. but when i connect the wires to the compressor, i do not get a voltage reading; however, the compressor is turning.

i am trying to wire my electric fan so that it comes on when my compressor engages....

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

are you asking how it plugs in?

it doesnt really matter, all the compressor clutch is is a electromagnet

if you are asking how to hook it up to your fan, use the compressor wire(power) to trigger a relay

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

thanks for the quick response - i now understand that it does not matter which wire goes where as long as they are both connected.

my problem is that once the wires are hooked up to the compressor, i do not get a voltage reading off of the green wire. i want the green to trigger the fan relay but it will not trigger if there is no voltage present. when i disconnect the wires, i can measure voltage at the green wire so i know i am getting a good signal from my pressure switch. what i am not understanding is why i do not get a voltage reading when the wires are connected to the compressor. the compressor is engaging...

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

So, why not wire off of the pressure switch connection? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the compressor is engaging, then your pressure switch is good. Since the black wire is tied to the engine block, the green wire must be hot.