Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring 3 wire alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

All of my wiring is done except for this.
    The alternator has a plug with 2 wires and then the other wire which is the exciter.

I know one of the wires in the plug needs to go to the starter for a constant 12v.

What I want to know is where to hook up the exciter and the other wire in the plug.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Big main post 12v HOT

1st terminal from big post, Exciter
    2nd terminal from big post, Jump to the big post (for 12 v hot)

The exciter should be in the plug in clip

http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/90507Manual.pdf
    THe white 914 wire is the exciter. Diagram in section 7.1

3. 85mudblazin

Ok so it looks like 915 goes to the battery, can I just connect this to the hot stud on the starter?

Where do I hook 914, the exciter to?

4. onetonbb74

yes, hook to starter for 12 v
    The exciter hooks onto the alternator on post #1 (closest to 12v post) the other end is coming from the fuse panel. Post #2 is just 12v hot from the post to the terminal #2 14 guage wire about 3 inches long.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Question - I'm doing the same thing right now. My truck has an aluminum tube that routes the wires to the started past the exhaust. If you have that, did you have any problems with that (getting the wires out or tube off)?

Charge.jpg

6. 85mudblazin

Nope didnt have a tube.

7. onetonbb74

i had a tube and wanted to re use it then lost it. Made one, all it does is protect the wires from the exhaust.

8. 85mudblazin

So the exciter just goes to the fuse panel?
    Note: I have zero stock wiring. I have a switched hot block that I have all my accessories wired into. So I guess just hook it up to that. Should I run it through a fuse first?

9. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I can't get the wires out and I can't get the bolt loose. I can't get a good hold on the nut with a large enough socket wrench to break it free. Ideas?

Sorry for the hijack:doah:

10. 85mudblazin

Cut the wires are run new wire.
    Dont worry about the jack, its what CK5 is for:wink1:

11. onetonbb74

i believe the exciter is a switched 12 v signal to the ignition side of the fuse panel. Hook it to the ignition hot wire on your custom setup. When i go to my truck in a couple mins, ill look at where 914 hooks to on my fuse panel to let you know which circut it is for sure.

12. onetonbb74

To get to the bolt, use a long extention or as many of them as you can find with a swivel socket 9/16ths from underneath. You can cut the wires if your re wiring them. Its probably stuck on the fuseable link in the tube. If still no luck, just rip it off by moving it back and forth until it breaks all it has is a tab that bolts to the bellhousing bolts.

13. Hosehead

Hosehead Newbie

Wiring

The exciter can go to a light bulb, as in the Generator Light on an older car. It just needs something to cause a draw, and get the alternator to start alternating.

If you want my opinion on the best explenation of automotive wiring I have ever seen, go to MAD Enterprises.

http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

14. 85mudblazin

Ok I have a switch that energizes a junction block. I have all my accessories coming off of this (rocklights, guage lights, etc.) I have a 10g wire from the battery to the switch which applies power to the junction block when switched.

So from what I gather the constant hot wire and the switched 12v wire on the alternator have to be on different circuits. If the constant goes to main power wire from the battery that is connected to the starter post will that be a dfferent circuit then the switched block?

15. onetonbb74

The exciter wire from my understanding is optional. The 3 wire alternator has 3 wires so the light on the dash can tell you if the alternator is alternating current or not(charging). If it is not hooked up, the truck will still work but you must hook the jumper wire to the constant hot terminal post on the alternator. Mine is not hooked to anything on my painless. i have no dash idiot lights.

16. 85mudblazin

I dont see how you could run without it since its what tells the alt. to start charging right?

17. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

sorry, little long

The way I wire mine is from the stud on the back of the alt. I run a heavy wire to the 12V constant side of the starter or directly to the + side of the battery. And on the two wire plug , the bigger wire also connects to the stud on the back of the alt., the smaller wire runs inside the cab and connects to a light (I use a red one) that I mount in the dash. The other side of the light connect to the 12V+ key on side of my ignition switch. The alt. acts as the ground. flip the switch, the light comes on, start it, alt starts charging, light goes out. I've read somewhere about using a resistor instead of a light, but I prefer the light. I used to have trouble throwing fan belts and wouldn't know it till the engine over heated or I run the battery dead.
    I've also heard that you can run without the two wire plug but the engine has to hit something like 3,000 RPM's for the alt. to start charging.
    If this doesn't make sense I'll try to find pics.
    Hope this helps

18. 85mudblazin

So when the alt. is charging the light will go out and when its not it will be on correct??
    I guess I just need to start it up and test it out.

19. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

yup if the ignition is on and the light is on, it's not charging

20. onetonbb74

re checked harness

My exciter wire goes to the ignition side of the fuse panel which is a switched 12 volts. I don't have idiot lights so i was confused on where i ran it. I wired my truck back in 03 so i forgot.