Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring 454 in 71

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Oct 14, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

workin on the wiring a little tonight.
    • Alternator: It was on the drivers side now on the pass side, no biggy but old alt has 2 little wires plus the larger wire, new has a 2 wire plug-in and the big wire stud. Anything special I need to note or just convert?
    • Starter: old used both studs and the newer truck engine only used the 1. Whats special there or anything?
    • Dist: planniny on findihing the hot ign wire from the old coil wires and use it to turn on a relay to put battery power to coil.
    Anything else I need to note? I am gonna see if mitched on demand has a good print out of the 71 wiring so i can follow wires but are there any other people know of? Thanks ya'll

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your "new" alternator has the internal regulator,vs the 71 external regulator. Search around and find the thread about converting over.

Does the 454 have HEI ignition? The 2nd stud on the old solenoid is to supply 12V to the OE coil for start up only.
    On my 70, I believe it is a yellow wire that feed power to the coil. If the new motor is HEI, you will need to run a new heavier gauge wire from the IGN plug on your fusebox to the HEI, for full 12V.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, HEI. I can just put a 100% duty cycle relay there and use that yellow wire to turn on the relay and run a good like 10 guage wire from bat to relay then from relay to dist

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Sounds like more work to me.:confused: