Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring a 3 wire electric fan....couple of wiring questions please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jun 20, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, picked up a nice large electric fan from the pic n pull this weekend. I am trying to wire it up but have a couple of questions (its a ford fan large sedan fan)

1) it has three wires
    Black- I'm sure its ground
    Blue - ?
    Orange/grey - ?

2) I tried wiring without the blue thinking its the AC connection to kick in second speed, but I am getting no fan.

3) Also, I bought a fan controller with thermostat and connected the red wire from that to the battery. I also need to connect the yellow wire to an ignition+ source. Any ideas what best connection would be in engine compartment for that one? (350, carb'd, no A/C)

thanks, I'm frustrated.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

So what does it do when you wire it with the blue or w/blue and without the orange?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So its basically like a relay then, the controller takes the power right from battery to fan, so you just need a low amp line to trigger it on. I use ( for my light relay ) a wire plugged on to one of the extra ign spots on my fusebox . I poked a hole in a grommet on the firewall and shoved it through ( small hole so it seals well ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It would help to know what application the fan came from. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've got a Ford Taurus 2-speed fan that has 3 wires. But they're 1) solid black (ground), 2) black with yellow stripe (high speed), 3) black with orange stripe (low speed). (Might have the colors reversed, but you get the idea). Applying 12 volts to wire 2 creates a small hurricane. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Applying 12 volts to just wire 3 creates a mild gale. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif