Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring a CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by wakedog, May 13, 2001.

1. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

I want to wire my cb to the fuse block. It said in the manual that the cb can be wired into the ignition accesory input in the fuse block, i have had trouble finding it. Could someone please help or give other ways to hardwire it? Thanks

2. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I wired mine into the radio fuse in the block, that way it turns off with the truck.

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I ran mine straight to the battery so I can turn it on and not even have the keys in the ignition. just be sure to turn it off or the batt will croak

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i ran mine up to the fuse box, which is under where the parking brake it.
    i just bought some more connectors to clip it in.
    u can get them at ur local auto store.
    mine cutts off w/ the ignition.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I wired mine to my second battery. There is a hole that goes through the fire wall and all of my accesory wires go through there.

NITRO
    1987 555cid Blown Nitrous Chevy

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There's a connector just above the radio fuse that should be empty. To check for an accessory fuse, turn the ignition key to the on position, without starting the truck. Then take a test light , ground the clamp end, the touch the tip of the test light to the metal of any empty fuse slot. If the fuse slot is good, the test light will light up. If it's an accessory fuse, the test light will then go off when you turn the ignition switch off. If it's a constant hot fuse slot, the light will stay on.

Most install instructions spec installing to an accessory (ignition hot) fuse so you don't run down the battery by having it maybe stay on when you turn the truck off. A CB doesn't use much power, so pretty much any empty fuse slot will be fine.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

In my 92 3/4 ton p/u I wired my CB into the fuse panel. I have a very annoying sound that's linked to engine RPM's. Chances are if I wired it to the battery directly, it'd be just fine and without the stupid whine. If you're at the fuse panel you might be getting 'dirty' power, or power that isn't filtered properly, etc. The battery acts like a big filter. [​IMG] GM's suggested routing for wiring a CB was to take wires from the battery past the radiator, along the driver side fender and through the firewall that way. [​IMG] I had a site lying around, I'll try and dig it up.

With the radio on it's pretty easy to remember to turn the thing off when you're getting out... [​IMG] My opinion on that one though.

If you want to use the fuse block, you might want to use a capacitor or other noise filtering device to ensure it gets smooth power so you don't get the irritating whine... [​IMG]

Tim