Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring an 84 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by paddyjim, Apr 21, 2001.

1. paddyjim

paddyjim Registered Member

just a rookie looking for some advice from those of you who have probably done this a million times. the wiring in my 84 is all over the place. been cut out, spliced, etc. what a mess. I have been looking at the "painless wiring kits" and Ron Francis Wire Works kits to replace what i have. Which one in the better kit or is there something else out there that I should be looking at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

"Painless wiring kit" is the way to go. Time consuming, but they will send you instructions. Also kinda pricey IMHO.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I converted my 85 diesel CUCV to 89 TBI 350 which required a complete harness in the cab and under the hood (except for the light harness). The old harness was butchered to boot. I got mine complete from a junkyard and it was much cheaper than any of the aftermarket harnesses. If you were building some older vehicle, I would recommend the new harness. But with later model stuff (80+) you can still find good harnesses in junkyards easily and much cheaper.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

where do you get the painless wiring kit and how much?

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

6. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I replaced my harness inside and out in my m1009 with a harness out of a salvage yard. Cost me 50 bucks for all of it.

Scott
    78blazer

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Use the factory wiring. Just try and get as close to your year as possible, and with the same options (PW, PDL) For instance I believe '84 was the first year of the headlight dimmer on the column, as well as the wiper controls, so the harness is a bit different than 81=83.

In any case, with a Haynes manual, even if it is a few years too new, you can make the necessary changes. In actuality, very little changed.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>