Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring caught fire. pics, help me decide on new harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Apr 26, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

well, here's the deal. the last week or two my gaugues and my ignition would randomly loose power. also, my radio only works like 3 out of 10times.

Today when i got in my truck after work i fired her up and smelled something burning, well the wires running from my cb to the batt were burnt up to the fuse for some reason. im sure it has to do with the hack wiring that was done previous to me owning the truck. well, the fuse/flasher thingy that controls the power door locks was so hot i couldn't touch it for more than 1second. so i pulled that fuse/flasher(silver thing) out of the fuse box. the fuse box should have fuses and fuses only in it right, not this ghetto isht:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So anyways, im gonna order a new kit and spend the time to redo it. does anybody have any experiences with EZwiring, or HotRod Wires. they both are about 50% less than Painless, but look like great kits. this is something i wanted to do for a while, but now i have a reason to get it done. haha. anybody have any input??? thanks
    ~dave

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually looks like SOMEONE at some point tried to do things right. Those scotch locks or whatever they are (blue crimp things) and the crimped connector/green wire are ghetto, but other than that, all the connectors I can see clearly on the fuse panel are "right", added as GM would.

I'd just cut out all the crimp on connectors, seal up the wiring, and go from there. Replacing the harness is going to be more of a pain than fixing the small amount of wiring issues there.

3. 01maroonz71

what about all the wires that are just stuck into fuse plugs, like the one all the way in the bottom left. and the other like that???? is that correct????

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

thats not always treu...there is a just aplug in for i belive an IGN, and something else...theres like 2 or 3 that came that way stock

5. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

I too am very interested in what type of wiring kits you guys like because i too want to rewire my rig

6. dyeager535

You mean the one with the green plug, with the white or tan wire going to it?

Yes, that is correct. Those are locking connectors, and the terminal it is plugged into is not only "hot" in certain key positions, you can't put the connector in another slot that isn't hot at the same time. They are keyed. GM wasn't dumb. As I see in your picture, some of the connectors are designed to "piggyback", and they too lock in place.

However, those slots are typically ganged up on one 30A circuit breaker, so you could have problems with something rated for lesser amps, especially with no inline fuse.

7. 01maroonz71

yeah, that is my main worry. the horn /cig lighter/and dome lights never worked since day one, im sure this has something to do with it also. so upgrading to a 200dollar harness (EZwiring) wouldn't be necessary??? thanks again guys!
    ~dave

8. dyeager535

Cig lighter and what not, come straight out of the fuse panel. If they don't work, likely because someone screwed up the wiring, imagine that.

Dome light could be door switches, or if it doesn't work with the headlight switch (all the way left) then something else.

9. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

wow i did mine the hardest way possible. i took two wiring harnesses and went from a round glass fuse box to a square type fuse. put em right together. well i say that but it took a ton of time and alot of brush on electrical tape. not bad for a first time messing with electrical. ever since then i've hated it. got a problem with my new rig though. when i turn on the blazer the windshield wipers come on? idk next project. who needs wipers anyway

10. 01maroonz71

yeah, add that to mine, my wipers come on when i turn my a/c off. and they stay on, until i hit the intermittant switch to turn them off. that's embarrasing. damn this electrical isht.

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:thinking: What would Ryoken do?

Lets just say I'm glad I don't have a battery in mine.....

or engine, or trans, or seats, or well nevermind.

13. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

it's really awesome when it's 90 degrees outside and the hot girl's walking by. youhit the switch ti start it and the wipers come on..screeechh. that's embarrassing

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

He'd build his own harness... :wink1:

But on a serious note, in this case, I'd just straighten out what's there.. Dorian is right, alot of that is factory GM style plug-ins...

z71, ya need to have some patience and start tracing out the individual circuits... Replacing the harness will be FAR more work.. And as Dorian mentioned those blue splice-in clips are hack work, I cringe when I see them...

I would start by unplugging/disconnecting any aux systems that have been installed (aftermarket radio, lights, cb, etc), get all the base truck systems working, then rewire the aux's...

Here's a good resource for wiring diagrams...

http://brochures.slosh.com/

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i would go pull a clean uncut harness from a yard, burbs are often unhacked..just replace the interior harness and be done in an afternoon

16. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

My freind has a brand new in box with all the manuals and everything "painless" wiring harness that he got for his 78 k5 that he doesnt need anymore. I think he wants $100 for it

17. 01maroonz71

hmmm...can you find out. im very intereested but i cna't pm you b/c your not subscribed to the site. what's the part number???
    thanks!

18. lochenjons

Yeah sure Ill ask him next time I see him, shoulndt be too long since hes my neighbor. You can always email me to lochenjohns AT gmail DOt COM
    EDIT: and yes theres an extra "h" in my email than my username :yikes:

19. lochenjons

I looked at it yesterday and there isnt a part number that I can see on the manual or the kit so I'm not sure what it is. But its the complete one that has everything extra like power windows, etc and anything youd possibly need. And he was going to use it on his 78. It's a painless E-Z wiring harness or something like that.

20. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the setup from hotrodwires. All the connections were solid and he uses top quality wires from what I could tell. The price was about half of the painless stuff and I saw how Bill builds his stuff in his shop. I had to call for help at least five times and he was always friendly and knew exactly what was going on. I would recomend Bill at hotrodwires to anyone.