Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Delco Alternator without Idiot Light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Jul 4, 2004.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I want to wire up my Delco Alternator without the idiot light. The idiot light presently runs from Terminal #1 Sense thru a light bulb to switched 12 volts. Hooked up this way the alternator has output. With the idiot light removed there is no output. What/where do I connect Alternator Terminal #1 to get output without the idiot light

Thanks
    Paul

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If its a CS sytle alternator the sense voltage to the alternator comes From the Switched 12V Thru the Idiot Light and to Term #1. If you remove it, It doesnt get the right voltage and doesnt work. The Sense line REQUIRES resistance to work (that comes from the light bulb) Therefore to bypass the idiot light you must replace that part of the circuit with a resistor...problem is, I dont remember the size required. You can get adaptors the converted the old SI alts to CS type and in the adaptor, they had a resistor. If you can pull your idiot light and measure the resistance then substitute an equivilent resistor, that should work.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

This is the info I used. I didn't have a light so I used the resistor adapter 8078. It has a new part number and unfortunately I'm not where it's handy. Dealer should be able to cross reference, mine did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the connectors for the cs alternators are four wire but will only use two of them and the wiring is the same as the SI.
    · S = a heavy gauge wire to the battery supply (horn relay)
    · F = not used
    · L = a small gauge wire that comes from the idiot light and energizes the alternator
    · P = not used
    You need to purchase a conversion adapter that is just 2 short wires and 2 connectors. One is a cs connector to plug into the alternator, the other is a female connector to accept the SI plug from your original harness. There are two different types of conversion adapters. One is a non-resistor and the other has some resistance built-in it. The "L" wire that energizes the alternator needs some resistance (35 ohms or more) in it otherwise it will cause the alternator to fail. If you have a warning light in the dash then that bulb serves as the needed resistance and you should use the non-resistor adapter. If you don't have that bulb or have less than 35 ohms resistance in the "L" wire then you will need the adapter with resistance built in. If the "L" wire has more than 350 ohms then there is a problem with that wire and it will need to be fixed.

Non-resistor adapters:
    - AC Delco: 8077
    - Haywire: 2110
    - Painless Wiring: 30707

Resistor adapters:
    - AC Delco: 8078

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

Thnks Guys;
    I will purchase the connectors you mention.

Thank You
    Paul

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I believe diode will work as well.
    Here are some pages from MAD Electricals Alternator wireing for SI models.It may work with the CS models as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]