Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Florescent Lights....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Nov 29, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Got a question. I have access to some 8ft florescent lights, but they have the ballast wires only, no plug for the wall.

Can you just get a cord and wire it up or do these kind have to be hard wired.

Also, in the garage there are ONLY two crappy as regular light bulbs (the screw in kind /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) that are wired to the switch on the wall. How hard would it be to take those down and just wire in these florescent lights? Would the florescent lights use any more power than the old style screw in lights?

Thanks.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

flourcent use more power when your fist turn them on to light off the gasses inside but aftert hat they use much less, so all in all they use way less power, and run alot cooler to.
    to put he in your garage to code, you could pull the regulat light off, run the wires into a metal j-box, than run conduit to the light and wirenut the wires together, i just put a bunch in my bosses barn, very easy to hook up and alot brighter, plus they dont cast shadows as much as regualr lights do so it is easyer to work under them /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

above my main workbench in my shop my dad hung a a line of florencent lights (4) 4 foot ones I think. And they are attached to a plug in for the wall.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Make sure the power is off!
    Make sure the lights have a 120V ballast it should say on the ballast tag. Some florsent lights are 277 volt.
    The ballast tag also has a wireing diagram how to wire them.
    Just take the covers off the Light boxes in your celing.
    Disconnect the existing screw in light fixtures.
    You should now have a round or square box with wires hanging out

Mount the florcent lights to the celing over the boxes and hook up the old light wires to the black(hot or line) and white{common) wires in the Floresent fixtures. There is a hole in the top of the lights to do this. If you have a ground wire hook it up to a screw in the fixtures as well. Florsent lights should be grounded.
    The tubes in the fixtures are prolly 40 watt tubes 2x40 =80
    Fixtures will use 80w but will throw out a lot mor light.

If you just want to plug in the fixtures install a cord with a plug on the end of them.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

k your smarter than me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, all i know is i like them better than the regualr ones /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif