Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring from gas guage to sender question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5-newbie, Jun 21, 2004.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

My rig came factory with the 6.2 diesel in it and was converted to a 305 before I bought it. the wires coming from the sending unit are cut at the engine side of the firewall. there are two wires, looks like a pink and an orange but they could be faded. I need help in finding where they connect on the inside of the cab. I am assuming one gets power when you turn the key on and the other sends a resistance to the gas guage to move the needle in conjunction with the sending unit, but i dont know which does what. Does anyone know or have schematic to help me out.

Thanks in advance and sorry so long.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pink wire is the only wire that runs outside the cab (related to the fuel sending unit) in non-EFI applications for the gauge.

Power and ground are done through the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster. As long as your other gauges work, when you re-connect the cut pink wire, your gauge should work.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I need help in finding where they connect on the inside of the cab.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the tank I think that the wire should connect to the fuse block wiring harness thing that is on the firewall on the engine side of the cab near where the steering column comes out.

4. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

the sending unit has 3 wires coming from it, a black, pink and orange. the black is grounded at the tank and the other 2 follow the frame up to about where the shocks are and at that point they are cut. the wires end there, and I cant find where to connect them back. Thats why I was asking where they are in the passenger compartment. I thought then I couldjust run wire through the firewall and connect them to the cut wires and then maybe it would work. I'll keep searching the vehicle and try to find them.

Thanks for the replies.

5. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As long as your other gauges work, when you re-connect the cut pink wire, your gauge should work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you were right...I found the little pink wire cut at the firewall where the wires feed into the fuse box and ran a new wire from it to the cut wire at the frame and my fuel gauge seems to work. at least it is not sitting at the 3 oclock position.
    There is still a cut wire in the harness coming from the sending unit it is tan, not orange as I thought originally. does anyone know where this wire goes??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

And again, thanks for the help, I will know tomorrow when I go to put gas in it if it works.

6. dyeager535

Almost sounds like a TBI sending unit. They are the only ones with the "extra" wire I can think of...oh wait, diesel eh? Do you guys have a water in fuel light or something monitored at the tank?

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Almost sounds like a TBI sending unit. They are the only ones with the "extra" wire I can think of...oh wait, diesel eh? Do you guys have a water in fuel light or something monitored at the tank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the diesels did come with the the water in fuel light.

8. dyeager535

Is that where it is monitored from then? Guess I never thought about it before.

On a related note, do the diesel tanks have any sort of drain incorporated in them? I know the diesel car fuel tanks did.

9. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like the wire I was looking for...you guys ROCK