Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring gremlins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, May 23, 2006.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Hey all Im having an issue with my turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights. Here is the run down. Turn signals work fine until you push the brake. With the brake pushed they go into a short quick signal, like when a bulb is burnt out. If I have my lights on it the turn signal will do the same thing (quick blink) until I hit the brake. When the brake is hit the turn signal cuts out. That is my problem (among a million other things)

Maybe related, my remote start stopped working at the same time as the signal lights. I have checked the obvious, fuses, wiring at the back. I played with the T-connector for the trailer lights, as well as removed it with no change.

Any ideas?

Mike

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

ttt

no one?

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Follw the rear light harness foward along the DS frame rail. I have seen a similar issue caused by exhaust gasses melting the whole harness together. The exhaust was cut off and a turn down was welded on but the gasses got hot enough to burn it all.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Trailer wires?

Also look over any trailer wiring with a close eye!..many tail light problems originate at the added on wires someone spliced into the OEM harness!..I've even seen the plugs fill up with corrosion and short out internally..we chased problems on a jeep cherokee tail lights for nearly a whole day,before I thought of looking at the trailer hitch wires..the plug was so hot ,it was as soft as a gummy bear!..chopped it off,and the lights worked perfectly once again..:rolleyes: I still cannot understand why it didnt blow fuses??...:confused: ..put a new plug on,and all was well again!..

Make sure all the bulbs are good,and none have one filament touching the other one --this can cause weird feedback problems with directionals..and make sure the sockets are clean,making good contact,and the grounds are VERY important too...all kinds of strange things occour when a ground wire comes off or gets too corroded to conduct properly..:crazy:

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I had all kinds of weird issues when my bed became ungrounded from my frame after a body lift (plastic pucks), and a spray in bed liner. Ran a groundstrap from the bed to the frame, works like a champ.