Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Gurus Help Please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Dec 15, 2005.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Got the dual electric fans put in and I'm trying to fugure out how to wire them up.

I have an On/Off/On switch and am trying to make it where On#1 is MAIN fan, and On#2 is BOTH fans withaverything tied to turn off with ignition.

Right now I have Main fan On constant with ignition and 2nd fan is on switch and turns off with ignition.
    I'm confused:doah:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You are using relays right? How many and what are the contacts and coil numbers on it. If you give me that i will draw you a schematic

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Should be simple with 3 relays.

3-way switch, "A" being 1-on, "B" (the middle) being off, "C" being both on.

Switch pin A goes to the control for Relay 1, Relay 1 sends power to Fan 1. pin B does nothing (since it's off) and pin C has 2 wires and a 3rd relay connected to it, one goes to Relay 2, the other to relay 3, which switches on Relay 1. The purpose of the 3rd relay is to keep power from relay 2 when the switch in the "A" position.

This way when you put the switch to A, it sends +12VDC to control for Relay 1, which then sends +12VDC to Fan 1. Switch goes to C, and it sends +12VDC to both relay control pins, thus power both fans. Switch goes to B, it sends +12VDC nowhere and both fans are off.

Was that clear as mud?

Here's a schematic :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  4. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Relays??? What are Relays?!!
    Nope, I wasn't using any. Guess I'll get some! Any recomendations??
    And thanks for the schematic, that will definitely help!

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That schematic as drawn will not work. All 3 signal wires are connected together. I will edit it and show you what i mean

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

A relay is a mechanical switching device. They usually are in black plastic boxes about 1" cubed and have 4 or 5 pins on the bottom of them
    [​IMG]

A relay allows you to switch a large load with a small input wire. This allows you to run small wires and use small switches in the cab and switch on large loads (such as fans) without running a 30 amp load capable wire into the cab. How they work is when 1 "side" gets a small 12V electrical connection, an electromagnet pulls a large internal switch closed, thus switching on the large load through the relay. The switch only sees fractions of amps of current whle controling large amperage loads.

I think they are $5-10 each. I have a few laying around my tool box for future electrical projects.

Here's more info:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay1.htm

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

oh sh*t.. you're right. :doah:

Fixed It....

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Danm, you beat me to it:haha::haha:

I jsut installed PhotoShop CS and i am still trying to find all the differences form teh last version i had.

What did you draw that in? I used to do all of my schematice in Circut Maker 2000, but it is no longer supported and i can't find the registration data for my copy:doah:

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm at work (I work as a graphic designer) so I just slapped it together with our Layout software, Quark XPress.

I have Adobe InDesign at home which would have worked just as easy for it. Photoshop would have worked too, but it would have been a hassle handling all those little lines & boxes in 48 different layers :eek1:

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Quark 0 Used it once. PITA IMHO
    Adobe - Used InDesign and Pagemaker. Both OK
    Photoshop - "Crtl-Shift-E" hahahaha

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status