Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Harness for K5 72 Blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Mar 9, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

The OEM wiring harnesses are so expensive, has anyone ever used one of the aftermarket wiring harnesses like Painless? Are they as easy to use as they seem? Anyone know of any alternatives?

http://www.painlesswiring.com/catlarge/10205.jpg

2. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

You get what you pay for. The only thing I would suggest on Painless is to solder instead of crimping. Crimping will be fine for a year or two but after the wires start to corrode you will not make good contact, then you will have bigger problems. I used M&H Engineering for my wiring. They make OEM harnesses. I had like $600 for a total rewire. I bought it thru Tuckers. Tuckers sells it cheaper than thru M&H.
    http://www.wiringharness.com/

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Usually the cheaper the harness,the MORE complicated and involved it will be to install.
    I used M+H stock replacement harness and it was a simple plug-n-play deal.
    http://wiringharness.com/

The painless harnesses have to be "adapted" to OUR year trucks.

It also depends on your skill level and how comfortable you are with automotive wiring.If you compitant with wiring, go with the cheaper harness/wiring system.

Finances are also something to consider.

Personnaly I wouldn't skimp on your vehicles wiring.The more expensive harneses use quality wire,are properly wrapped,have the mounting clips wrapped into the harnesses and line up to all the factory mounting holes.
    They also have the proper terminal ends already crimped and soldered on.

Just something to consider.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

are you guys using any grease for the connections between the fusebox and the front firewall wireharness. I've seen some harnesses corrode in that area.

ARQ.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I use dielectric grease on all the electrical connections I mess with. It gives a better electrical connection and prevents corrosion. Cheap insurance.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I don't know what kind of dielectric grease the factory uses but that black/brown stuff gets over everything.
    I used a quality marine dielectric grease.