Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Harness Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Well, I got in my truck Friday morning to go to work and it didn’t start. It just cranked over. Seemed like it wasn’t getting any gas. After a very cold ride home on the motorcycle Friday evening, I started troubleshooting. It was the ECMB fuse that was blown. It was supposed to be a 10A fuse, but unfortunately, the previous owner had put in a 25A fuse. I was sure there was some damage done. I broke out the wiring harness and eventually found a place in the circuit that was shorted to ground and fixed it. Anyways, to make a long story longer, I’ve realized my wiring harness has seen better days. Pretty much all of the plastic shielding is gone. The wires are ratty and covered with random pieces of electrical tape. This summer, I’m planning on yanking the 454 and doing some cleaning. This would be the ideal time to replace the harness.

Question is where should I get the harness from? I’m looking at doing just the firewall forward. Should I get something from Painless or should I go Chevy Duty or LMC? Thanks for the suggestions.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably going to need to find one that is an EXACT replacement, I don't believe I've seen anything like that, especially just firewall forward.

If we're talking an '81+'ish truck, the engine bay wiring harness should be pretty easy to find in a donor in good shape, and if you find one with a couple of cut wires (typical in the 'yards) you can always splice in some good wire and be done with it.