Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Debating wheter or not to try to piece together my old harness, or cough up 400 bucks (I think thats what I saw for a price somewhere) for a new harness.
    Just a few questions...
    I have a few cut wires and broken connectors, can they be replaced(connectors) and spliced together (wires) or should I not risk it?
    Also, when you buy a new wiring harness specific for a model of truck, does it clearly label each of the wire (for where it would go, ie. front taillight, interior; dash wiring) so I know where everything goes? or do I really have to know wiring to figure it out?
    One of the things I need to buy in the summer (If I do chose to buy) before the body goes back on thee blazer.

Thbanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Connectors are the worst part...as long as the cut wire connections haven't allowed the wire to corrode a ton so that solder won't stick.

If you have access to wrecking yard vehicles, usually connectors are not a problem...most are easily depinned, and the newer the vehicle, the better the condition usually.

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

pepboys and a supplier of GM sells brand new connectors.

The brand name wiring harness usually have small print on the wires that detail what the wiring is for.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy crap the painless is so worth it, i dug it and the piece of mind of new wires is really great!!!

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Dale, is there a painless wiring harness specific for our blazers? How much did it cost you? Was it easy to follow where each wire goes?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Dale? Any more info on the wiring harness you got?

Really debating if I should get a new one. Finally took it off the engine saturday...real big mess. Although, it's not as many wires as I thought. 70% of the wires must go to the interior!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First off, there are 3 main harnesses under the hood on most trucks covered here. Engine harness, forward chassis harness (lights, horn, etc.), and rear chassis. Each has it's own plug on the bulkhead connector for most except late model. They all sort of snap together to look like one big connector.

Anyway, I generally wire my own by getting replacement connectors and buying the closest matching wire I can. Kinda hard to find "orange-gray" and such, but you do what you can. I also have a rather large plastic bin full of old harnesses where I'm likely to find just the wires I need. When splicing wires, I prefer soldered crimp with shring wrap, though there is debate of pro/con of solder. For plugs, that's easy. Older style plugs come apart (depin) really easily with paper clip. Just remove the pin and solder on the new wire and snap back in. I the plastic plug body is bad, get another from one of the sources mentioned.

That said, it takes a LOT of time to do a nice job. Depending on what you make an hour, and whether you like the "reward" of doing this stuff yourself, the $400 "Painless" harnesses start looking like a bargan. Ususally not really an option for me since I'm generally doing custom stuff so I can put everything just where I want it, and have no extra wires for missing options, that kind of thing...

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I pulled a "perfect" harness from a truck at pick and pull for 80.00. it was perfect and only took about 2 hours to remove. just a thought!

9. dyeager535

I like to use Astro's as donors for any wiring I need to do. The way they ran the wiring around the front of the engine provides LONG lengths of clean wire that is usually in very good shape, and the bundle of wires has quite a variety.

One good thing about GM, they kept the wiring coloring/size the same between all vehicles if they could.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check out the vendors section. There is a vendor in there buy the name of Eagle somthign that sells new TBI harnesses with different types of configurations, depending on what you need. And I think they are under $300!

11. Emmettology 101

The guys username is: EAGLE MARK

TBI Harness is $225!

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Mike,
    Stupid question; on the blazer there will be a q-jet, wouldn't I need a carb wiring harness? Or is the TBI the same as the carb?
    Thanks!

P.s. to otther guys...
    I don't have much experience wiring, so If I can get a cheap harness like mike is saying, i'd rather do that, than to try to make my own harness from the old one, with new wires. I'm sure the wiring gurus could make a better harness, but mine would be hacked together because I dont know anything about it.
    Thanks.

13. dyeager535

Gotta learn sometime!

Wire strippers/cutters, shrink wrap, soldering iron, solder, your good to go.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Go to summit or jeg's (where i got mine) and price them out, i think its worth it. Really good quality wire, nice fuse block and it comes with all the stuff you need, evan extra blinker relays, and lotts of extra fuses, and crimps, and zip ties. The only thing i bought/used were water proof crimps that i got for free form work, and i bought some flex wire loom, i like how it looked, and protected the wires. I got the 18 circuit one, because i had planned to get power windows at some point, but never useed that option. BrandonC has it now.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That's true, and i'm kicking myself for not having more time. I just want to get the blazer back together asap, we;re moving and we dont have a lot room for all these vehicles.

Probably either for the Jimmy, or something, i will do a wiring project when I take time, research, study, and wire something myself.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright, I'll check out Jegs (have there catalog somewhere) and find a price, then wait until I need it, to deicide.
    Thanks

17. Emmettology 101

My fault, I must have misread your post and thought you were looking for a TBI harness. I dont think those guys get into those at all, but you could pM them and ask.

Your best best is what Dorian said and start practice your wiring skills! :D

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know I could practice my wiring skills, but I don't have any! The last thig I need is to wreck the already bad looking harness when I go to start it up in a few years:confused: