Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fire dawg, Jul 28, 2005.

1. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

Well, it's about time to replace the harnes in my 79 blazer. I figure the cheapest route would be if I could find a decent one in a junk yard. My question is are the harnesses model specific, or can you use as pickup, blazer, or burban one?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dont know if this will help ya...

I have a 1987 front clip and wiring harness..... 78 cab with a 1982 cab wire harness

and I wonder why I have so many problems...... :doah:

1985 steering column now to boot!!!!! :haha:

seriously... should work...
    the only thing I had to make sure was that both were the same.. meaning my cab didnt have AC ....

however if you find a cab with AC it will have more wires.... but put it next to a non AC cab harness and you will see the wires all match but for the ones missing...

confuse ya yet??? :crazy:

3. RootBreaker

oh yeah.... my harness came from a diesel too!!!!! :eek1:

4. LostByChoice

LostByChoice Newbie

Taking the easy way out again...

I dont know if you might consider this, but when I rewired my 72 Blazer, I went to Painless Wiring. They got me a model specific harness for about $300. It aint cheap, but it makes sure you have everything you need, and they are fairly easy to install.

LBC

5. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

Yeah, I would love to just go to painless, but with so many projects going on right now, I just don't think I could afford it. I figured the harnesses would swap over. I think I will go down to the yard to see what I can find. Thanks guys

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They will essentially all interchange, (blade fuse to blade fuse for instance) but for instance the Blazer compared to a standard cab has the light for the shell. Small differences like that can be fixed though.

Diesels are kind of a pain, (still something you can work around) as they have a fair amount of extra wiring for wait light, water in fuel, etc.

7. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

they are differant. are you replacing half of it or the whole harness inside and out side. if doin the whole thing they'll bolt up the same, but if your doin half take the half your replacing with you so you get the right harness block. you'll probably have to switch some of the wire prongs around on the inside and that can be a pain. the ignition wires were in the wrong spot on mine so i had to swap them around. an exacto knife will help

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't even try and mess with an old harness. Life is too short!! I'd really recommend something like a Painles harness. They're so easy to use and no messing about. A loom out of any 70's 80's vehicle will be brittle and prob no better than yours. I tried messing about with a '90 loom and it was falling apart in my hands! Good luck.

9. dyeager535

The loom typically falls apart, but that stuff is easily replaced, and should be. It's cheap anyways.

I have yet to run across *interior* wiring that is brittle unless there has been damage such as a short or fire. Not being exposed to heat, sunlight, (and hopefully) lots of moisture, interior wiring should be good indefinitely.

Engine bay wiring is obviously going to be a whole different story, and the loom on that stuff is evidence of that. Look at it wrong and it will fall apart.

I'll go out on a limb and say that 95% of all wiring problems are related to someone screwing around with things and messing it up, not failure of the wire under conditions it was designed for.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I absoultly agree, wiring is one of my pet peeves, I would want nothing but the best wire in my truck, but thats just me.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I lucked out and got a barely used 70's harness out of an AZ truck . The engine harness wasn't even falling apart . Looks so good I will forgo the money for a new one .

I learned that 70's wiper switch and 83 wiper switch don't have the same plug .

And I learned that the a/c and heater harness comes off the main harness , its only on on one plug . The sub harness for heat and a/c plugs in . I put 83 heater harness on a 70's harness .

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree but unfortunately I have yet to look up under a dash and find a loom that hasn't got several dozen unwanted/un-needed scotch locks and miles of black tape!! Or have I just been unlucky....again!!! lol

13. RootBreaker

NICE.... also I cut the plugs off of my 1985 parts truck and had to wire in the high beam plug for the column and same for wipers... where the old wipers were on the dash.. im gonna put a toggle in for my winch which is coming!!

14. dyeager535

Yes, it does take some serious searching/luck to find a harness that doesn't have "modifications" to it. No doubt about that, even the one I settled on had the clutch start switch "bypassed" by one of the PO's.

When building a truck, part of the fun (at least for me) was going to the wrecking yard anyways, so it gave me an excuse to find other cool stuff for awhile. :)

15. RootBreaker

that is my point... feel great accomplishments when done.....

plus $300 for a painless wiring... screw that.... I got better stuff to pay $300 for!!!!

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my buddy ran a streetrod shop for 5 years, has tried ALL the after market wireing harness's out there. says the "ITS A SNAP" or "GEAR HEAD" harness's are by far the best. painless will do but the others use better heavier gage wire and are better marked. i have the "ITS A SNAP" 40 fuse harness for my 73'. my buds is going to wire it with all GM wether pack connectors and relays everywhere. will shrink tube every thing too, but leave connectors accessable. paid 160.00 out the door for my harness. hope this helps.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

where did you get that one from??? never heard of them

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well dan, if it is indeed better quality wire than painless, than i will be going twith them to wire the mini, i really like that harness alot!! Pretty much exactally what i was looking for, thanks alot man :D

20. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i got my harness through my buddy Nick at the streetrod shop, Coppa Automotive in san perdro calif. ofcourse i got the good guy price though. the shop is closed as far as fabrication goes, but Andy coppa the owner still sells parts out of the shop. the shop was crazy busy for 5 solid years. excelent fab work and welding. did highend streetrod fab only no finish work, except nick did finish wireing. it just got too busy by word of mouth only, they both were working 7 days a week and Andy was working a full time job as a crane machanic down at the dock in long beach ca. my bud nick is a wireing genius freak, can trouble shoot any problem out and does a bitchen wireing job. can make a car look like there is no wire in a car. i trust anything he says.