Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring head unit

Discussion in 'Audio' started by KGsK5, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

tryin to put a new head unit in my k5... got it wired up with the yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black and the 2 speakers that i have in there for now. when i turn on my car the head unit starts for a second and then shuts down... i have installed these before... but its been a while. any suggestions?:confused: :confused:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What is the brand and model of the head unit? Usually you can find out the wiring diagrams on said brand name's web site.

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

hmmm... ill give it a try... thanks.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Volt meter the yellow and red wire when ign. is off, acc, and run... that will tell you if your loosing power at some time.

How is your spaeker neg.s ran?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Red / Orange is the hot wire(s). Yellow is the memory (constant hot). Black negitive, Blue turns on the amp(s) and also used for power antenna. Greys, greens, purples, and browns are speaker wires.

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

thats what i thought... when i turn on the truck, the head unit starts up and imidieatly shuts down. it has one of those messages that come up when you turn off your car and it says "see you"... it comes on normal but then that message comes up and it turns off. then, if i turn the truck back off, and back on again, nothing... not even the message. when i disconnect the harness and put it back on and try it again it does the same thing.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try wiring hot all the time. (constant power) and see if that makes a difference. (you'd have too remember too shut it off when you get out of the vehicle) It kinda sounds like the headunit may have seen better days. What kind of headunit is it anyways. If you do end up getting a different headunit, I've been seeing smoking deals on Ebay on the Clarion DXZ945MP. I have one I would deffently recomend it !!!!! It's last years model.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i agree, if its actually taking the time to give you a shut down message...it's probably on its way out. no big deal. ebay!

9. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

ill try to wire it up constant hot wiht a switch... it worked fine in the car that i took it out of.. its a pretty nice sony i think... would have to check to see what it is exacty. but its only maybe 2 years old.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sony, that explains it. I've had quite a few friends that have had problems with the newer Sony units.

11. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

gah... well ill give it a try with consant hot... and if that doesnt do it... ill just have to go no radio for a bit :doah: