Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WIRING HELP neeed asap!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Oct 20, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

1987 Suburban Silverado, 2wd, factory 454, auto, power steering, ac, etc.

Okay got the 'new' big block in the burban and I have 3 wires that have me scratching my head. I marked all of them but these two (guess I missed them). The other one I have marked, but cant find where it goes still /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyways, here are some pics and descriptions of where they are coming out of. They are relativly short wires, so they seem to have to go up on the intake/heads somewhere

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80504443/95743028uwgBTz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80504443/95743060CuBQAh

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80504443/95743095FkKnkQ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80504443/95743126OwlvOv

Gotta get this thing running YESTERDAY....seems one thing after another keeps going wrong /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks!

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that single green wire (16" long) is for the engen temp senser i bet

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i think the first one plugs into the air cleaner on the
    side /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

The purple one looks like it might go to the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. The 2 pin one may go to the AIR diverter valve (smog pump valve).

edit: the 2 pin one might also go to the valve that controls vacuum to the EGR valve. Been a while since I worked on mine.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That purple wire is almost definately an O2 sensor wire. Same color and plug type on my SBC TBI.... The single green I am goign to guess that its a temp wire..??.. Slides on the end of the sensor???

Black and yellow.. *shurg* A/C related? EGR? *shrug* My SBC TBI has a scond snsor for water temp up by the t-stat but the plug end is different and I am not sure on the wire color... What is marked on the one you cant find where it goes?

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

deleted

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

alright, cool. Think Ive got them all now. THe two pin plug goes to the sensor at the front of the block where the hose goes from the water pump to the intake. (thanks 3car/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The purple one is the 02 sensor...forgot about that cause I dont have that manifold on yet, picking it up today.

So I guess the other one must go to the sensor thats on the pass. side of the headk about center right above the exhaust manifold

Thanks guys/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

2 wire weather pack should be the AIR diverter control. Only thing over that side of the engine.

Green is the temp sensor on the side of the head.

Purple is thowing me. Looks O2 but O2 is driverside by the shift linkage.

I'll go out to my 88 454 burb in a little while and see if I can spot that purple on. Might be knock sensor on the side of the block but knock sensore is usualy blue I thought.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

that two wire plug plugged into the sensor on the front of the block. There is a sensor that comes out in between the water pump and the intake (right next to the hose that connects the two)
    Whats the name of that sensor?

the purple one I was hoping goes to the 02 sensor...it might just be on the passneger side cause thats where it got moved to when I was dropping the engine in. I dont have the o2 sensor hooked up yet, so that could very well be it.

If you can confirm that Grim, that would be great.
    The green one I think hooks onto the sensor on the pass. side head.

10. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

The green wire is the coolant temp sensor for the temp gauge. The 2 wire one that is on the intake next to the hose is the coolant temp sensor for the ECM.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay, the purple wire may not be to the O2 sensor....on another site, it was said that that wire goes to the KNOCK sensor located on the pass. side bottom of the block in front of the starter.

And the OTHER purple wire coming out of the wiring harness from the tranny is to the O2 sensor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Guess I havent looked for that one yet cause I dont have that manifold on yet.

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay the purple wire did go to the O2 sensor./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks!