Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring help...!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrdrinksalil, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I've got a 140Amp one wire alternator. I left the batt. wire on the alternator in place (the one that runs back to the fuse box). I cut out the warning light wire and ran the other wire (that connects to the 2 pin connector in a 3 wire alternator) to the battery. Will this be ok? I also ran another 10gauge wire from the output of the alternator directly to the battery. I plan on putting a 12 gauge fuseable link between the battery and alternator. Does this set-up sound like its going to work or set my truck on fire?!?!

Some of the info I have been reading is saying I should use a 4 gauge wire from battery to alternator! thats as big as my battery cables!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. mrdrinksalil

3. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

12ga sounds kinda small.

4. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

on a true 1 wire alternator( with a self exciting regulator in it) the only wire you should have to run is a 10 gauge wire from the battery post on the back of the alternator to the + post on your battery

5. mrdrinksalil

I have 10 gauge in there now, Im just worried about it being too small for a 140amp alternator

6. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

well figure that most late model vehicles with high amp alternators only have a single 10 gauge wire coming off of them....if its good enough for them then it should be good enough for your truck...if your in doubt run 2 wires off the battery post to your battery if it makes you feel safer:D

7. mrdrinksalil

Well, I put a fuseable link in there last night so no fires will start... I'm just worried when i start winchin and what not and that alternator starts puttin out big amperage that the 10 gauge is gonna fry.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  8. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

If you're really that worried about it, just go to NAPA, Autozone, etc. & get a 4 ga. battery cable that's long enough to reach. It'd be overkill, but it'd work. :D

Later,
    Buddy

9. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

The table at the bottom recommends 10 AWG for 150 amps as long as it's not over 5'. From about 5-10' you should run 8 AWG. Those sizes are also for constant loads which I doubt you will be seeing very often.

-Wes

10. mrdrinksalil

Thanks for that chart. That makes me feet better now. Seems to me though, I looked at other charts that said i needed bigger wire but they said nothing about length. THANK YOU!

11. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the length is just as important as any other factor since resistance increases as wire length does and resistance is what creates heat.

-Wes