Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Jul 31, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i need to find out how to run a wire from my fuse box that is used for accecories, aka-on only when the key is on.
    this is for a cd-player. i pretty much know nuthing about this one area. any info is greatly appreciated,
    thanx

2. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Just find the wire that runs from the fuse block to any device that only works when the key position is in the on spot and splice that wire with the radio accessory wire so that the radio only comes on when the key is in the on position.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

4. balzer

balzer Registered Member

which one runs accecories?

thanx for the help

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

You know, I'm glad to see that other people wire like me. I've been reamed out like you wouldn't believe on a certain jeep forum(i know...no comments from the peanut gallery please) for informing someone of those kind of wiring instructions. Man...everybody got all crazy about it...i had like 5 people tell me the proper way to wire things was to run it straight to the battery....i don't know about you guys but i thought the "proper" way was an additional fuse box. Well I don't use the x-tra fuse box either....i just shove 'em where ever they'll fit.....like said above....it works...and everything i've got has in-line fuses anyway. But as for balzer....the other guys have the right idea, but a little light tester might make things go a little quicker. First make sure your ground for the tester is good, then start poken stuff with the key off, so you can find the constant power wires, then do the same with the key on....the new ones that light up are your accessory power wires

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you would be kind enough to tell me what year Blazer you have I can scan a copy of the fuse block for you and show you where to get the accessories connect from....

7. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i have an 83

and thanx for all yalls help

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Help me help you.

balzer Welcome aboard!!!!!!
    Let me give you some tips when asking questions on things.
    First fill out your bio including what year truck you have.
    Second always let us know what year truck you have when your asking questions. There are many changes that have happend durring the time the K5's were built. They have been in production 32+ years. The question you asked may seem straight foward but there are 5-6 fuse box changes in that period. You might get some spicific information that may be worth nothing because it doesn't apply to your truck.
    The following advice is pertaining to the 73-91 body styles.
    Ok now on a pre 78 truck they run glass fuses and there are a few open terminals in the box if your truck is a lower model (no power windows ect) It's best to use a test light to check to see if this is the correct curicuit for your needs. What you will be looking for is open male and female spades in the box next to the fuses. Sometimes there are orange plugs for other accessories that will have a place you can plug a second accessory into. The power your looking to draw is very low and you not going to need to worry about over taxing the fuse box.
    Now on the 78 and newer trucks you will noticed empty slots that are marked "ACC, IGN and BAT" "IGN" is what your looking for. Those will energize with the key in the on posistion. Now ACC are funny. Most of the time those will be power if the key is in the run posisiton but will also power with it in the ACC posisiton (key turned backwards). Some ACC will be hot all the time. Never found any rhyme or reason why they are both marked ACC when some are switched and some are really BAT. Again GM used some oran plug that often have a second place to add an accessory.
    Now if you going to add amps to the stereo I would Highly recomend you draw the main power from the battery. You really want to limit what you power off the fuse box to under 15 amps fused. If for some reason you need to have switched power in excess of this they run a wire out to the battery and use a relay trigered by the fuse box so the load is pulled from the battery.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey balzer...not to add to the confusion, but "most" cd players, stereos, etc. need a constant 12v and a switched or "ACC" source. You might try to verify that. A little $5 test light from AZ or PepBoys will really help ya allot. Who knows, ya might get to likin' this electrical stuff and wanna go full time!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm