Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring help....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Jan 23, 2003.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok I Finally tried to fix my not working tail light...

So anyway,I found that the turn signal YELLOW wire that comes out of the bottom of the steering colum was not connected..PO had cut and black taped it together bypassing that big connection ..
    So I put a piece of same gague wire in the connections place and Now I have a brake light on even with the key off...WTH..Any help would be thankfull for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance the column (and thus column wiring) is wrong? That would perhaps why the wire was cut, and why hooking it up did something entirely different than expected?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Do you mean the light is always on or if you step on the brakes even with the ignition off i goes on, because that is what it's supposed to do.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I'm not following you when you say it was cut and taped together bypassing the connection. What is it taped to? The yellow wire should originate in the column and go to the left signal/blinker bulb. I would try a test light on the terminal where the yellow wire is supposed to go. If it is hot all the time, either the brake light switch is faulty or there is something fouled in the signal light switch under the steering wheel.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok here is some pic's ....I hope they help..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok I the yellow wire that runs from the coloum and goes to the thing in the photo and the PO had cut that wire at that black connection box and just tied it to the other end of the wire (bypassing) that black connection thing ..
    Well I hook the yellow wire back together and I had the turn signal back.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But that is only the begining,So I turned the key off and then I noticed that the passenger side tail light was on...Only that one, So I replace the brake light switch and still it is on..If I disconnect the brake light switch it goes out..But then I have no turn signals or brake lights..
    If I put a test light on the yellow wire from the colume it has power all the time..So if I hook it up to the other end the lights stay on... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...I thought that if I replaced the black connection thing with straight water tight connections it would be good..(the black thing had some that were lose and s few had melted before I got it..)Well now I have the same problem..But now I have no lights and the fuse and flashers are all new and good...Mike

P.S Did I say I hate wiring...I HATE WIRING

6. dyeager535

If that was my wiring harness, I get all those damn crimp connectors out of there, get a wiring manual for the right year truck, and fix that rats nest.

Don't hate wiring, hate the moron PO's that screw it up.

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

go to a pick a pull chop it with a descent amount of wire left and swap it on your wires! take picks with you and a diagram to buy the correct one.

8. dyeager535

With that kind of mess and PO, and no wiring diagram how do you know that even the turn signal switch is the right year?

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Holy cow!!!! That's the worst wiring hack job that I have EVER seen! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Whoever did that should have to surrender their tools and be prohibited by law from ever again pretending to know what they're doing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A good wiring diagram and plenty of time with the multimeter will be needed to sort that mess out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok I cut all the tie raps down and that is what fell down...
    Now the crimp on connections was me bypassing the black plug
    (the last 2 wires on that plug didnt have a wire going to them on the other side of the plug..So it will come out soon after I get it fixed...) because in the past sometime there had be a meltdown on the black plug and the PO had soldered 2 of the connections together(dumbass PO) (second photo on the right hand side)...
    It will get done right Wehn I get it figured out as to why it isnt working...LOL
    What gets me is I cut them one at a time as to not get anything mixed up and crimped them together one at a time..So That is why I am so confused..
    What started this whole thing was the yellow wire was cut and twist tied bypassing the whole black plug and it had come apart, So I put a lenth of wire in where it was to go to the black plug, to crimp it together and then I had a turn signal again..
    Well I was all happy then I took the key out and then the right side brake light stayed on(even with the key off an my foot no where near the pedal...)
    So I replaced the brake light switch and still the same(light on just that one not any other lightand now there was no turn or brake lights) I used a test light and the yellow wire was getting full power all the time(even with the key off) so I unplugged the yellow wire again and then I was back to where I started...WTH
    I then found where the PO had soldered the 2 wires to close and the end of the black plug had melted down sometime in the past..And the brown and light blue wire where both way to lose in the black plug..So I then started cutting the wires one at a time and adding the crimp fittings (yes I went the way they were on the plug...Green to green and so on and so on,...)

I have 2 books and of course I cant find a one..For the wiring diagram...LOL
    I am going to see if my brother can come over tonight and look at his 74 and comepare the wiring and see if that helps....Thanks for the replys guys...Mike

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here is a quick list of what should be on the connector:
    P/3-Brake/white from switch
    N/6-right rear/dark-green
    M/5-left rear/yellow
    L/1-Turn(from flasher)/purple
    K/8-hazard(from flasher)/Brown
    J/2-right front/dark-blue
    H/4-Left front/light-blue
    G/7-Horn/black
    F-not used
    E-nt used
    D-not used
    This is a fairly "standard" GM connector.
    I can scan a more complete drawing if you need one.....PM me. I've seen lots worse...don't let it get ya down...we can fix it!

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Re: Wiring help....update...

Dose any one what the green and brown wire on the back of the turn signal cam thing do and what it should go to...(the 2 right next to the thumb in the pic) it had no wires that go to those two from the underside of the colume...Thanks guys...Mike
    [​IMG]

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Does it look they have been cut? They should be the:
    green-right rear brake/signal
    brown-from the hazard flasher.
    I will also edit the above post to show the numbers on the connector.

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I got her working tonight thanks to a new turn signal switch .... To all that gave me a wiring diagram and offered there help in pm's (and email's) THANK YOU /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif....Mike