Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txhotrod, Aug 6, 2005.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

What would yall think about using some kind of platic outdoor conduit with a piece of flex conduit from teh frame to the body with seals @ every conection. Then T off the conduit in the frame rails to where ever i need the wires ran. I have a 79 k5 with a 76 frame and drivetrain, I bought it this way, and the wiring is a hackjob @ best. I pan on rewiring it since, but since the whole inside of the tub is bedliner I was thinkin of doin this as an alternative to havin wires ran all over the floor with zipties. looking for a real clean professional look. Good idea or a nitemare?

Blazerkid

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take a look over at http://www.delcity.net/ and other similar suppliers....

they sell solid loom...

personally i think looms, etc are really just best for routing, retention, etc.. the waterproofing of a system is in wireends, lugs, connectors, etc... when done properly, thats where the waterproofing comes in..

also take a peek at the weathertight connections and GM weatherpack stuff.. 3M scotchlock coating is good too... good shrinktube and soldering goes along way too..

on a sidenote, someone once gave me this 12" piece of #16an steelbraided hose.. had no use for it, so i used it for battery cable loom along the frame back to the trunk in my Chevelle.... pretty blingin for loom under a frame.. :haha:

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i could think of a few elecrical conduits but not sure if it would suit your pourpose, not nessasaraly the conduit but the boxes and conectors.

flew conduit would need to be held down a lot.
    i would think about 1/2 or 3/4 ridgid pvc conduit, use t boxes with damp location conections, (uses a different shaped/sized gaskit and a comprestion stial fitting)

i would think it would depent largly on how much time money and effort you want to put into it, and how you want it to look, could look great and clean you the look of things :waytogo:

4. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

We bought the Painless #10205 harness for our 76 Blazer. It has been a dd, but son does plan to go muddin. We didn't think of your idea. We bought some Painless powerbraid just to try it out. Better option is the slit loom as RYOKEN says. The wiring folds in nicely. We will run it all the way back from the fuse block, inside the frame. I was surprised to find it in a number of diameters and colors at Home Depot. Much less expensive that AutoZone or O'Reilley's.

No system is water tight. When water gets it your conduit, how will it drain?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same question I had. Probably why you rarely see conduit under a truck.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think the other problem with conduit is that if something does go weird with the wiring over time, you'll need to pull it all out just to look at the wire inside. If you're talking about wiring underneath the truck, split loom, or just tying the wiring out of the way of sharp stuff or heat makes it much easier to inspect

I have bedliner in my rig and also wanted to keep the wiring inside neat without stuff all over. Split loom inside was a great way to go.

7. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Yeah, split loom is real nice to keep your wiring nice and neat. Easy to add more wires and easier to troubleshoot existing ones. Waterproofing is done at the connections. As for areas that the wiring needs protection, I like to run it thru heater hose. My battery to winch wiring thru the front sheetmetal goes it. Works great, I can see any chafeing (SP?) long before it gets to the wire insulation.

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What she said.

9. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

Well I was thinking this becuase of the fact that i had loom on my wires in the frame rail bu,t since i go play every weekend the 3000psi pressure washer took its toll on it an now it looks like crap. I was thinking some kind of 1/2" or 3/4" plastick grey out door conduit. My dads a contrator and we have alot of it lying around. I also thoght that since the truck was soon to get a new dash as well as incorporating a full interior 6 point cage that the round conduit would stay in place nicely as well as blend with the cage and the loom looks slightly tacky IMO in the cab. I want this to be totally custom and original. I bought my truck to be diffrent since all the guys @ school have nice new truck with 33's, now a bunch have seen what a 70/80's fullsizes can do and join the band wagon so to speak. One went as far as to copy my lift tires(37 boggers white wagon wheels) and diretrain (d44/350/sm465/203/parttime kit/12bolt w/4.56's) grr. So its time for something diffrent. Skigirl has a good point tho, Hmm... Well i guess ive got some thing to think about. Bottom line tho would you go ahead and do it? The body will be off the frame so install wont be a prob and attetion to detail will be key since this truck will be enter in a state automotive competion where it will judged on preformance /aperance (sp?) / overall driveailty and usefullness. Grand prize in a full ride to wyotech! I placed 2nd last year in our region 5th overall. (but till then im got build and run the trails :D )

Blazerkid