Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring IGN to push botton start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Apr 21, 2006.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I just wired up a toggle switch ignition and push button start. The thing is I still need to turn the key to get lights, heater, stereo, etc to come on. Is there a simple way to wire all the stuff hooked to the key ignition to my toggle switch ignition? I hate wiring, so if possible would like to keep it stupid simple. :doah: Im hoping its a one wire deal from fuse box or steering column. My Hayes book that covers 20 years wasnt much help.

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

why did you do that ?

well theres a red 14 guage wire to the fuse panel from the starter connection where the cable comes one, it runs off the ignition switch to run hvac and radio and stuff and accessories

but not lights, lights are hot all the time, it splits off the same red wire in the fuse panel

what are you trying to do and why ?

did you lose your ign switch down on the column ?

or?

good luc k

3. trailblazr81

The IGN didnt need a key and was going out. I had the switch and push button start set up sitting in the garage so I decided to throw it in my rust bucket. I also have a battery disconnect switch hidden. So I just need to know what wire into the column is power and IGN ON power.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are 3 main power wires under your dash that you must tap into to bypass the ignition switch. One is Red, one is Brown, and I can't remember the other color offhand. I bypassed the key on my K5 about 2 years ago. I had to run 2 heavy gauge wires (10 gauge I believe) from the power block on the firewall (engine bay) into the cab of the truck. One was for the main power of the truck. The other was for the accessories and something else. I used 2 75 amp toggles for the power toggles.

I then wired a 15 amp toggle to the starter solinoid to make it a direct switch to kick the starter on and off manually. It was easy. 1 wire from a hot power source to the toggle and one wire from the toggle to the small post on the starter solinoid.

Harley

5. Hossbaby50

You can use the wiring diagrams in Chilton's or Haynes manuals to figure out exactly which wires you need to tap. That is how I did it.

If you need me to I can go double check and see which wires I tapped into on my truck. And also keep in mind that the colors I stated for my truck may not match the ones from your truck if it is a different year.

Harley

6. trailblazr81

I found a diagram and it shows red BAT, brown ACC, brown and white ACC, Orange IGN.

7. Hossbaby50

Looks like you answered your own question then. Just take a tester under the dash and start poking. If the red BAT wire had power with the key off then you just need to jump it to the other 3 wires that power the truck on a toggle switch.

Your diagram should show you what wire kicks the starter over also. You can either splice a toggle into that wire or just run a new wire directly to the starter like I did.

Harley

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wires..

The solenoid activation wire is usually a thick purple wire..you can pirate the purple wire off the neutral safety switch,and tap into it there, instead of running a new wire to the solenoid,and still retain the neutral safety switch..:crazy:

9. Hossbaby50

In some situations especially with a stick it is nice to have the neutral safety switch bypassed.

Harley