Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Mar 20, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My burb keeps blowing the dome/horn fuse. The stereo use to be hooked to it so I ran it to a different lacation, but it is still popping the fuse. My buddies 89 Jimmy does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem, and what did you do to fix it? This is driving me crazy, my Jimmy's dome and horn still work after I rolled it six times.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to hear some qualified opinion on this one too...

How often does it happen? As soon as you replace the fuse or after a bit?

A fuse blows because there is too much "draw" coming from that wire, through the fuse, correct?

So if the fuse is blowing, it would indicate some type of short to ground, or the wrong lightbulb, right?

I'm really curious, I would like to "hone" my electrical skills as well.

If it's a wiring issue, I'd almost imainge most common scenario is that your horn wire in the (assuming) tilt column has been chafed through to bare wire.

Another thing is that since the dome/horn fuse are connected, that means all interior lighting, and the door switches, are connected together, so it would stand to reason the problem could be there too, right?

If it happens fairly regularly, how about taking all interior bulbs out? (ones triggered by door switch, K5 thats topper, dome, and one under dash, center IIRC) Thats an easy thing to do. At least fuses are cheap (or free from the 'yards : )

Another thing to do is remove the door switches, tape the leads so they can't ground out, and see if it still blows fuses. Also kind of easy, just don'tlose those wires into the door pillar.

3. DesertDueler

It first happened and I replace it and it worked for two days, then it popped. I tried replacing it and it popped instantly. I tried pushing in the door button and it still popps instantly.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out the wiring going to the cigarette lighter. When that fuse blows in my S-10 it causes the dome light and horn to stop working right.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, since it pops instantly, should be easy to trace! Disconnect everything one by one, until the problem goes away. Whenever problem stops, you've found the component causing problems.

Cigarette lighter, all interior lights, and door switches are all easy to pull. One at a time, until problem stops. Cigarette lighter a good idea, hit that perhaps first. Then go for lights. : )

6. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Mine was doing the same thing. I pulled the lighter and the problem stopped. As it turned out, the lighter itself was bad so I bought a replacement (just the lighter, not the socket) and everything was fine after that.

7. DesertDueler

I will try that. I have been busy puting my Firebird back together, so I havent tried anything yet.