Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring lights to accessory switch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, May 23, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

How would I go about wiring the lights to only work when the keys are in the
    "on" position or the "acc" position? The truck is a 1989 Chevy blazer
    full-size.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

By going to the wrecking yard, and getting an accessory plug and wiring off of another GM vehicles fuse panel, that plugs into the "ignition hot" accessory spots on your fuse panel.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what is an accessory plug and wiring? can't i get it at pepboys or something... i don't know of any junk/wercking yards near my house.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Open your door, and look under the dash at the fuse panel. Near the top of it will be some "ports" that have nothing plugged into them, that a fuse won't fit into. More than likely, there will be a couple of them with one wire plugs into them already though. THOSE are accessory plugs.

No, you probably can't get them at pep boys, although I guess its worth a look if you don't have any 'yards close by. The plugs are specific (they are actually "keyed" by color IIRC) depending on "when" they get power. There will be constant 12v, ignition switched 12v, and perhaps accessory 12v. (key position "ACC")

There is no simpler way to do a GOOD job of wiring in accessories than using this method. There isn't much worse than a mess of tangled, poorly done wiring additions both in troubleshooting problems and in trying to mess around under the dash. Reason I mention pep boys likely wouldn't have them is because the local chain stores don't even carry solder. No wonder so many vehicles have piss poor wiring modifications in them... "well, they don't have solder, we'll just use these splices instead!"

There are even factory accessory plugs that allow you to "piggyback" MORE connectors on them, should you run out of dedictated spots.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Thanks, i'll check for it, thanks for the help