Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring my light bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grey88, Nov 15, 2006.

1. grey88

grey88 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok so here in lies my question i got a light bar on my k5 w/ 4 100w lights i got from wal-mart and i was wondering who knows the best way to wire them up, how to plug the hole in my roof for the wires so it doesnt leak, where to run my wires so i can pull them down to some kind of relay i'm sure i'm gonna need and posibly what size of alt. i'm going to need along w/ a bunch of electric stuff i wanna run on my truck but mainly at this point i need to know how to install everything i need to light up my 4 fog lights on top of my truck. any help, please. thanx guys.

2. trixblazer

trixblazer Registered Member

Still need info on wiring up those lights? I can shoot some pics tomorrow if you want. I ran the wires down the rain/drip rail and in right where the top fits up to the cab. There is just enough room to get it through without causing a leak. I have had it like that for about 5 years now and haven't had a problem.

I ran three relays. 1 for 2 of the round top lights, 1 for 3 of the top square lights, and 1 for the 2 front round lights. I have a total of 3 switches.

My alternator was upgraded a couple years ago. I don't remember the size but it is bigger than stock I know that. It needed to be for running the winch, all the lights, and my stereo.

3. grey88

yes pleaseeeeeeee send some pix, info, anything i hate tellin people they dont work haha, embaressing. i mainly just not sure where to run the wires or pretty much how to hook em up so anything will help at this point please anything you got i'll take man thanx.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drilled a hole in my roof and filled it with silicone. Just pull the wire under your headliner.

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

As for your altenator... I bought a powermaster 140 amp altenator from advance for around $160 to $200, I don't remember (the chrome one was more, so I didn't get it). The specs on it from what I remember were something like 90 amps at idle and the full 140 at, I wanna say, 3000 rpms. I don't remember where I put the specs tag that came with it, where they have a altenator dyno they hook em up to before they send it to you. I haven't had any dead batteries yet (from altenator issues anyways) and I run 4 100w lights, electric fan, and now a stereo with two speakers (:woot: ). I know that Summit sells the powermaster line and their own line of up graded altenators all the way up to 200 amps I've seen.

6. trixblazer

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  7. trixblazer

Here is a shot of the relays and fuse panel.
    Next is a shot of the whole truck.
    I noticed in the pic of the truck, it no longer has the lights below the bumper. All of the others are still there.

CIMG0291.JPG

DSCF001.JPG

8. grey88

hey guys thanx for all ur help. i'll take whatever advice i can get so if anybody else has ideas and or pics ill take it.