Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring my truck to my travel trailer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Aug 6, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,

I am wiring up my truck and travel trailer and I would like to wire up a battery inside my trailer to run 12v stuff. What I need to know is what gauge wire do I need to run from my alternator to the trailer battery? And to what on my truck do I connect the wire to send the juice back to the battery in the trailer (is it hooked to the alternator)? Thanks again!!!

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are hooking the bat. in the trailer you would need some kind of isolator or the older bat. will run down the newer one. I would run something like 6ga. wire to the trailer from the isolator which would be hooked up to the pos (+) terminal on the battery. You would also want to wire in a larger ground from the trailer to the tow truck.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I have an insulator installed on my trailer, and a ford style solenoid in the engine compartment of my blazer.