Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring new style alt. into old style plug?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LucasJ03, Sep 16, 2004.

1. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I need to know how to wire a newer style alternator into my old style in my 72 K5. I know it can be done I just don't know how.

Thanks
    Lucas

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Here
    you go. I did this recently with a 120 Amp unit I pulled out of a cadillac. I made my own adapter harness by getting the plug with the new alt. when I pulled it at the JY. Then I got an alternator extension harness at Kragen. Made by Dorman, sorry, don't know the model #. I Spliced the female end of the extension to the plug for the new alt, but I soldered a 45 ohm resistor in line with the proper wire ( and put two layers of shrink tube on it). The only snag I ran into was with the alternator bracket, but it's one of those 'spectre' chrome hoo-yas they have at Kragen. I don't know if a stock bracket would work better, but I plan on picking one up on my next trip to the JY, the chrome is too much bling for me, and like I said, it didnt fit right. I had to put it in a vise and do some creative bending to get it to work right, but it did work. I have not had any trouble since I did the swap, and that was about 6 months ago.