Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring of light bar and general light bar questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 31, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Well my next thing I want do to my blazer is add a light bar on the top. I am going to put a black light bar up there w/ I think I am going to put four Hella 500 lights this bar is mostly for looks. I have a few questions.

1. Should I get the 500 driving light version, fog version, or amber fog version? I probably will rarely ever use them, do they each look different?
    2. How should I run the wires from the roof into the cab?
    3. Where should I mount the switch in the cab? (there is a picture of my dash below)
    4. I am also looking for a good place to mount the button for the air horn I ordered today any ideas? (there is a picture of my dash below)
    5. You all think I should put one switch for all the lights or 4 switches one for each light?
    6. Does anyone have any Hella 500 lights mounted anywhere on their truck? If so I want pictures!
    7. Anyone have a lightbar and your rig is not in the gallery? If so I want pictures!

Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5
    [​IMG]

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i mounted a toggle on the right side of the wheel, between the two screws that hold the bottom steering column cover on. (to the immediate left of your radio volume control knob). you could use that one for your air horn.
    i would use one switch for the two outside lights, one for the inside lights, and one for the light that points towards the rear. or some version of that.
    i have an overhead console, there's a killer spot for about six switches. now i just have to figure out what all i can run switches to!
    driving lights go far.
    fog lights go short, but wide.
    yellow fog lights go short, and don't reflect off rain, fog, snow, etc.
    if'n you have aftermarket lights mounted above the level of your headlights, you will probably have to run covers on them when you're on the road.
    good luck, and post pics!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have a lightbar on mine. As for mounting the wires into the cab, I just ran them between the cab and the top. Looked plenty clean. I had two switches, one for the outside 2 lights and one for the inside two. My switches were mounted directly below the stearing column. They were easy to get to and never got in the way. They also weren't real noticible. They'd be mounted just a little to the left of your brakes controler. I had 4 Cepek lights up there and my only complaints were that the light bar rubbed the paint off of the drip rails were it mounted and the lights would glare off the hood a little bit. I ended up pulling it off cause I was tired of the paint getting rubbed off.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like. (really old pic, lots more has changed since then.)

[​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

4. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Well, driving light for the roof will help u find your way on and offroad, fog lights are made for fog mostly. If u install them to the roof u will have the reflection from the fog right before your windshield, so u don't see anything than light. I suggest putting 4 nice beamers to the roof, for wiring u can use one switch to use them with the normal beamers, another one to use them seperately. Adding 2 nice fog lights will give u better view offroad and a safer drive in fog condition, but remember to mount them as low as possible. For the horn switch I like what most of heavy trucks have over here. A cord between roll bar and windshield to pull the switch!!! Way cool and u will ever find it!!!

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

For the switches I made me a copper panel consealed in place of the ashtray. Just flip it upp out of the way when not in use. Looks clean! I'l have a pic of it soon.
    For the horn a thin chain or wire like Balou says.
    [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

6. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Dawson,
    You shouldn't placefoglights on Your lightbar. As some other guys said, they wouldn't do any good up there. Mounting them as deep as possible and as far apart as possible is the best thing.
    Attached a pic of my lightbar. It's screwed to the roof and holds four KC's.
    L8er
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

7. MuleMaster

Subject: Re: Wiring of light bar and general light bar questions

... and here's a pic of my light switches (the dark rectangular spots on the overhead console). One is for the inner lights, the other for the outer.
    Yes, the rope is for my air horn.
    No, it doesn't work by now, I'm still searching a powerful compressor.
    And Yes, I know that I have to work a little more on my interior [​IMG]

MuleMaster

8. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

9. MuleMaster

BlazerBoy,
    I'm ashamed to say that I do not have the slightest idea on how much and where to get! The lightbar was on The Mule as I bought her. Together with some faked airhorns that where electrically operated and sounded like a mouse would shout ...
    L8er
    MuleMaster

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your help guys I think I am going to mount 4 Hella 500 Driving lights up there and have four switches somewhere. Thanks for all you help!

Dawson
    88 K5

11. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Man!!!! I sure do wish you knew where that light bar came from, mule!! I gotta have one! How much do you want for that one?hehe

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run 2 Hella 500 driving lights on my front bumper, they are 55 watts and are very bright for the wattage, I have the switches in the ash tray in a custom panel that I made (ARB air locker switch there also). I would only put up to 3 lights on any one switch.
    [​IMG]

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

13. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

That lightbar on Mulemaster's rig looks like a railing from a boat ? that has been modified. Hard too tell from the picture though, just a guess.

Scott 87JIMMY

14. MuleMaster

Finally found a source ...

Sorry, can't sell You my lightbar, The Mule is attached to it ... LOL!
    But I finally found a source which is offering this very bar:
    http://www.hansen-styling-parts.de
    It's a german site. It seems no US site offers them - no idea why!
    CU
    MuleMaster