Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WIRING Options, need the pro help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DUKE, Aug 6, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Here is what i have
    Jenson head
    Audio vox equalizer with built in amp 40x40watt
    Jenson 60wattx 4chanle amp
    infinity basslink sub
    infinity 6.5inch doors
    infinity 3.5inch dash
    i also have generic sets of 6.5 and 3.5 that the infinities will replace
    set of 8inch pyrimid speakers with boxes

Currently i have 4g wire from battery to a spliter then 8g one to a live wire for all accecory the other to the basslink. I also have the live 12v wire rigged trough a kill switch that all the toys run off instead of an ingnition wire (never could find one) rght now the amp and 8s are not even hooked up, and the new speakers, and equalizer are not hooked up. Simple solution is run the dashes off the deck, doors through the eq and rca the basslink, but i know there is a billion other combos with the equipment listed. Any ideas?, I am also open to buy new componets.

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

4g power wire why? it's not like your running massive wattage, and you said that you have a live wire running to your remote turn on i had the same setup but if you forget to turn off the amp your battery's dead. it was much easier to do it right i went to the fuse panel with a voltmeter and wired it to the ignition and you also stated that you may want to replace the components also not to piss you off but jensen makes nothing but crap i would replace the headunit with a cheap pioneer or kenwood, as for the jensen amp i would most definately replace that they are the biggest piece off [censored] out there in my opinion, the 8" pyramid subs i would stay away from pyramid and legacy just save up a little mor and get a quality product your infinity speakers were a good choice thats alot better quality than pyle or jensen

3. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

The wire was given to me from a buddy (who has moved away) that had allot of stuff. I didnt say the liave wire went to me remote turn on, and it dosent. It is done "right" but in place of an ignition wire ive got a rocker switch instead. As for the jenson deck i am very happy with, although many people have insisted that it is crap, my exsperiance has been otherwise. Besides the deck has features that i really wanted that no other company was offering. As for the amp it was never that bad to be honest, but i dont need it that is why i bought the infinity bass link, as self amplified compact in closure. the amp and the 8s were extra old stuff. Sorry if i wasnt clear before.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Duke,

Here's what I would do if that's what I had to work with....

Step 1: Deck - Does it have RCA outputs to run low-level signals to the amp and subwoofer? It sounds like it does...if so, you're all set.

Step 2: Sell the equalizer to someone else and spend that money on some "Bass Blockers" that you are going to need for the 3.5" and 6" speakers. You don't want them trying to play Ultra-Low bass...they won't sound good and it will suck up all your power. Try to find bass-blockers in around the 80-90Hz range....That's a good place to start.

Step 3: Subwoofer - It sounds like it can accept and RCA-level input which means it's self-powered. If so, run the Jensen RCA's to that directly. There should be a crossover knob to select what frequencies it plays. Adjust it buy ear until it integrates sonically with the other speakers.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Okay, yeah it dose have rca, and thats what i am doing with em now. I will look into the bass blockers. thanks greg

6. Greg72

Duke,

I forgot to mention (though it might have been obvious)....I would be using that 4-channel amp to drive the other speakers. I would not use the internal amp in the deck for anything.

Those bassblockers are available through places like Crutchfield...I think you can buy a line-level one (plugs inline with the RCAs before the amp)...that would be a cleaner way to do it.

As always, don't forget to put an inline fuse within the first 18" of that power wire off the battery. If anything shorts out you don't want to burn your truck to the ground!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks again, actaully i didnt think you ment for me to use the amp for the speakers. I was looking online, and sites like crutchfield and others recomended putting the bass blockers as close to the speaker, some comming with the terminal thing allready attached. or are you recomending i line level box thing instead?

8. Greg72

You can do it either way.....if you do it line-level....that's just basically a "crossover". Putting them on the speaker wire will rob you of some power, but it's probably more convenient and cheaper too.....

It's your call /forums/images/icons/cool.gif