Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring problem!!! Needs fixed asap!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Nov 28, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have a big problem! My jimmy's back right hand turn signal wont work, my brakelights wont work nore will my front or back left turn signals. This is a daily driver and unfortunetely it is one of the 2 vehicles that is running. I checked the fuses and all connecting points, I cant think of anything else and unfortunetely dont have the 400 some dollars to buy all the wiring from LMC. Any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. 1970 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Not being a smartass, but have you checked your bulbs? Fuses, flashers? Have yuou done any wheeling that may have caused a wire to ground out? tear the insulation? Stuff like that? There aren't that many wires for these lights, just a lot of wire to examine!!! Good luck.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HMMMMMMMMMMM..........let me think.........SORRY, CAN'T HELP YOU!!!!!!![​IMG]
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    V

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

major ground problem. Check with a test light or light bulb one end on the positive of the battery and 15-20 feet of wire touch ground ALL over the truck and see if you lost ground between the body, frame and drivetrain

5. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

major ground problem. Check with a test light or light bulb one end on the positive of the battery and 15-20 feet of wire touch ground ALL over the truck and see if you lost ground between the body, frame and drivetrain

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Check fuse with a test light. Both sides should have power, if one side does, the other does not, the fuse is bad. If both sides do not have power, the circut is not on.
    Check bulbs. Turn on the hazards and do a walk around.
    Check sockets for power and ground, with the test light, and be carfull not to short it out, or the fuse will blow. The O/D of the sockets is the ground, the two prongs in the center are the power feeds. One is for the running lights, the other is for blinkers/brake.

<font color=blue>Twiz

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Remove the tail light housings and check the ground connections under them. There's a ring connector under a bolt that provides the ground for the brake lights and turn signals. All sorts of bizarre stuff happens when the connections get crusty.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

those lights all go through the turn signal switch, maybe it is your problem

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears

9. chris77k5

chris77k5 Registered Member

hey speed deed I have the same problem if you find out what is wrong and how to fix it please e-mail me at gtafairlane@homail.com if I find out the problem first i will post it thanks good luck

77 k5 400sb, edelbrock rpm, carter 625,4" rancho 3" body, 3.08 10bolt 12bolt 33-12.5 soon to be 4.56 and 35s bfg km

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree with Silverado.....check the turn signal switch under the steering wheel.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your brake lights don't work as well, then it's probably not in the column, since IIRC, the brake lights don't go through the column.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

12. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If your vehicle uses the same bulb for the turn signal/brake light the turn signal switch cancels the brake light when the turn signal is on or it would stay on solid when you stepped on the brakes, the imports and newer vehicles with separate brake/turn signals don't go through the turn signal switch, because they use separate bulbs for each function. before you pull the steering wheel off, check the connector at the base of the column, the problem may be there and not in the switch.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 95 Silverado on 11/29/01 10:01 PM.</FONT></P>

13. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

if you guys need a factory wiring schematic let me know, I have access to AllData

Got my 91 K5 back after 2 years - and man I need parts - BAD!!!!

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, got a chance to look at a wiring diagram, Brake Switch (this is supposedly typical 81-91) uses a white and orange wire..the white wire is the one that runs up the column from the brake switch, orange from brake switch is spliced into the courtesy center and fuse panel power.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Like some have said... first check the bulbs... Both the small bulb and the big sized bulb that is the brake/turn signal light are the same. Do you parking lights work back there? That is on a seperate wire the the turn signals and brakes. If none of the thre work pull off the silver casing for the bulbs and check the ground. They are nortorious for rusting out... If the parking lights do work you need to remove the cover and then check the wiring for breaks. It should go down to a connecter where a trailor harness is put in. Check for power there... if nothing them move up along the driver's rocker panel and find the wires in the harness and check if there is power there. You'll need a test light and wiring diagram to do it. Most of the breaks I have seen are where the wires go on top oif the gas tank and they are a PIA to fix sometimes. You can always clip the stock wire and solder a new wire on and feed it over and through (I would get some wire loom to protect it) then you can connect it at the other side.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

16. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

HMMMMMMMMMMM..........let me think.........SORRY, CAN'T HELP YOU!!!!!!!
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    V

<hr></blockquote>
    lmao, you're cruel [​IMG]

Sorry I know nothing about wiring/electrical, no suggestions here.

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

17. Can Can

I don't know if you know the story behind my response, Aaron. PM me if you want to know and I think you'll fully understand my reasoning........

18. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I remember what happened. I'm surprised so many people wanted to help him. Heres the info for those that don't know:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=non4x4&amp;Number=189363&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=speed_deed&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=189363&gt;http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=non4x4&amp;Number=189363&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=speed_deed&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=189363>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=non4x4&amp;Number=189363&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=speed_deed&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=189363&gt;http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=non4x4&amp;Number=189363&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=speed_deed&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=189363</a>

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

19. chris77k5

chris77k5 Registered Member

follow the wires back to the tail lights thats what was wrong with mine the wires were grounded out

77 k5 400sb, edelbrock rpm, carter 625,4" rancho 3" body, 3.08 10bolt 12bolt 33-12.5 soon to be 4.56 and 35s bfg km

20. Can Can

Well, Aaron, not only do you have a good memory, I see that you have also mastered the CK5 search engine!!!!![​IMG]

Yeah, it's disappointing that he's got so much help, but most people prefer to forgive and forget. It doesn't help that a lot of new guys are around that never saw what happened. Oh well, one things for sure- lil' Eddie will never again get an ounce of help from me!!!!![​IMG]