Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring problem with 91 S-10 blazer??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Dec 4, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My wifes 91 keeps blowing the fuse for guages whenever she put's it in 4 wheel drive. I figured it had something to do with 4x indicaters in center console. They also go out when fuse blows. It's the only lever she moves! I pulled the console but didn't see any wires chaffed or damaged. Anybody had similar??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can only think of a couple of electrical things that happen when you engage 4WD on one of those.

There is a switch that closes in the front diff, when the vacuum engages the locking collar. That lights up the "front axle engaged" picture.

Another switch chooses which "mode" light to turn on. 2WD, 4WD, etc.

That's all I can think of. Make sure that no wires are getting caught in the shift mechanism and also that there are no wires hanging underneath that are getting caught in the linkage to the t-case.

3. bablazer73

I pulled the console right out. I don't see anything that looked like it was rubbing agianst the shifter. The 4 wheel drive still works when the fuse is blown.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

if you got a mulitmeter or have access to one and know how to use one use it to check the wires, a blown fuse is always a short to ground, so if you use the mutlimeter and put it on the ohms of fuse check feature you should be able to put one lead on one wire and hold the other lead to a good ground if it beeps (fuse check feature) then that is your shorted wire, i think you can also use your regular voltmeter setting, set it to dc and do the same put a lead on a wire and one to ground if it shows 0 volts thats your shorted wire if it shows "ghost voltage" (volt reading jumping around) move to the next wire. hope this helped and i didnt confuse anyone and that i got all the info right /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif good luck

chris

5. bablazer73

Yeah, I can do that. The problem is it's intermittent. Which only makes it harder. I was hoping that this would be one of those "common" problems and everybody had that happen and it's this! type of things. I have limited time to play with this stuff.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The 4 wheel drive still works when the fuse is blown.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, it doesn't need electricity to engage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A vacuum switch on top of the t-case engages the front axle disconnect. The electrical part just turns on the little lights in the console. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif