Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fry, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running into some wiring problems and thought you guys would be able to help me.
    I was out playing around in some mud the other day and got stuck and it was dark before I got out and on the way home I noticed I had no taillights, I tried replacing the fuse which did not help (it was burnt out), anyway I put it off for about a week and was going to do it after I did a trip to the mountains. On the way back from the trip it started getting dark so I turned on be interior light so I would have some light at the rear of the truck but then decided that it was too dark to keep going so I took a short cut down a gravel road to hit a hotel for the night. I went to turn off the interior light and it stayed on so I just pulled the plug that goes the roof. Then I noticed I had dash lights, which I just thought it was hard to see them with the interior light on. So anyway I keep truckin down this dirt road and everytime I'd hit a bump my headlights would blink briefly, cutting out for a quick second. And now yesterday I went to make a turn and noticed the signal light wasn’t working.
    My question is what should I start looking at, could it be in the headlight switch or more at the fuse box? I have done a search and came up with some stuff but my problem seems pretty specific. Sorry about the novel but I wanted to be specific. Any suggestions on whats wrong?
    Thanks

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

This could take awhile, so start when you have plenty of daylight.

You may have worn though your ground wire somewhere. The tail lights have always been the fuse for me, but if your blowing them as soon as you replace them, then you have either a bad ground, or the power wire has worn through and is shorting out. Try looking under the dash for burnt wires, and then follow them all the way out to the lights. Also, look for wires that have rubbed through or loose connections somewhere. Start with the battery cables. Make sure they are in good condition, the connections are clean, and they are tightened down at the battery and where they connect to the other components. Also, use a volt meter to trace everything out. Or at the least get one of those test lights and start tracing from the fuse box out. If you ground the test light and it works, but you are not getting signals or dash lights (meaning the tester lights up but not the signals or dash lights) then you know you have a bad ground somewhere. That will at least narrow down the circuit for you. Hope this helps some.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I kinda reached behind the fuse box and touched some wires near the taillight fuse area and it blew the fuse. I'm not exactly sure how to take the fuse box out or somehow move it to make more room to see behind there and take a look. I'm going to tear into this weekend I just would like to know if there are some problem areas common with these trucks.
    Also my brake lights, and hazards still work but when I put my brake on and turn the signal light no the brake light cuts out.
    Thanks for the reply shane74

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You probably have some wires that have worn through the insulation and are touching from time to time. If it happened right behind the fuse block, pop the hood and look where the wires come through the fire wall. Chances are that is where your problem is.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I popped off my fuse box and checked it out, everything was fine so I popped some new fuses in and everything worked. So I started working on my tailgate (doesn't open very good) and noticed that the stupid bumper I have on there the previous owner decided that it was a good idea to run the wires inbetween the bumper bracket and frame so when I got pulled out my bumper rotated downward (trying to keep a downward drag on the truck so she didn't tip) and must have rubbed through the wires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so I just have to take of the bumper and add a section of wire in the loom and reroute it. Pretty simple fix for a problem I though would take awhile to figure out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif